Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone run a front hitch? Tongue Weight & etc

909 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kmack 
#1 ·
So I have a pretty tight area to park my toyhauler (24-footer) with an extra cab long bed. Now having a CC long bed it's not really possible, well maybe, but way too tight for my liking, it's basically back down a flag lot driveway and then make a 90 degree turn into the side of the house. I've been thinking about putting a front hitch on to basically "fine" maneuver the trailer in and out of it's parking space. Does anyone run one that can give some advice (make, model, weight rating, etc.)? My big concern is the weight rating in the front, my trailer is probably close to a 900 lbs. tongue weight (trailer is probably 10K loaded) so obviously that's a big concern, although its just going to be used to move it to and from in the driveway. The other concern is I've seen one online and it looks like it mounts inside the bottom of the front bumper (need to remove OEM fog lights and etc.) which is a possible concern for air flow and cooling. Anyone running one with some insight here? Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm running a front mounted receiver hitch on our Excursion. It mounts behind the front bumper. You will have to remove or relocate the factory fog lights. We relocated our fog lights up into the grill.

If your tongue weight is 900 lbs, you should be ok with just using it to park the trailer. We got ours to push our 23 footer into our 30' storage unit. A lot easier than backing it in!

We've had the hitch mounted now for a few months and we tow a lot. I have not noticed any difference in the ability of the engine to cool itself (no air blockage).

Best to have a 2nd person there when you're mounting the hitch, though. The bumber can get a bit heavy by yourself.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.