Blown Headgasket Symptoms? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown Headgasket Symptoms?

like title says , What would be some common things to notice if you had a blown headgasket besides losing water in the tank? Any smells? obviously power loss, but anything way to really check? Im just used to a regular old small block ford that you can hook up a compression/leak down tester and figure it out that way. Im by no means a diesel mechanic so anything would help out thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow6.0 View Post
like title says , What would be some common things to notice if you had a blown headgasket besides losing water in the tank? Any smells? obviously power loss, but anything way to really check? Im just used to a regular old small block ford that you can hook up a compression/leak down tester and figure it out that way. Im by no means a diesel mechanic so anything would help out thanks guys
There are tests that you can run with the 6.0 as well. One thing to watch for is a egr cooler that is gone gives the same type of symptom as a blown head gasket.

Watch for white puffs of smoke from exhaust. Run the truck with the cap off the degas bottle and see if it is bubbling(building pressure).

For the egr cooler, park the truck on a bit of a down slope and pull the egr valve and see if it is wet. If it is,that is a pretty good indication that the egr cooler is hooped.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 PM

-Tea kettle noise or noise similar to running your finger over a wine glass on hard acceleration or decleration
-Coolant puking out the degas cap

The only way to know for sure is to have it hooked up to and do a coolant pressure test and tempature test. They check the pressure at the degas bottle and identify the peak tempatures of your EOT and ECT. Based on the psi pressure identified at the degas cap, and the tempature varation between the EOT and ECT will determine if headgaskets are possibly compromized or if there are symptoms of EGR cooler failures or Oil Cooler retrictions...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=ebusa;1743605]-Tea kettle noise or noise similar to running your finger over a wine glass on hard acceleration or decleration

QUOTE]

The coolant was not "puking out" but there was stains of coolant after a couple days of driving normally. I filled the tank up completely full and then i guess it settled down to the level it wanted to stay at, after a few days its now below the " Minimum" mark by a 1/4" . I guess Ill just have to bring it to a dealer and have them look at it. I dont know how to do the " EOC and ETC " tests. I got an extended warranty when i bought the truck so i guess i better use it.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 PM

What are the chances of the dealer finding a blown head gasket, then while its apart I just happen to show up with a set of studs and ask them to install those before they button it up? Would they ask for some money for additional labor for stud install? or just flat out tell me they have to do it by the book and put head bolts back in it?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow6.0 View Post
What are the chances of the dealer finding a blown head gasket, then while its apart I just happen to show up with a set of studs and ask them to install those before they button it up? Would they ask for some money for additional labor for stud install? or just flat out tell me they have to do it by the book and put head bolts back in it?
I would most definitely find a dealer that agrees to do them ahead of time. Don't risk it!

I made the mistake of having my gaskets changed about 10 months ago and kick myself now for not getting ARP's and injectors.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

It all depends on the dealer. I would definitely ask them ahead of time, dont just show up with them and expect them to do the install.

If they install them for you, definitely throw the tech some extra cash on the side
Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=1slow6.0;1744054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusa View Post
-Tea kettle noise or noise similar to running your finger over a wine glass on hard acceleration or decleration

QUOTE]

The coolant was not "puking out" but there was stains of coolant after a couple days of driving normally. I filled the tank up completely full and then i guess it settled down to the level it wanted to stay at, after a few days its now below the " Minimum" mark by a 1/4" . I guess Ill just have to bring it to a dealer and have them look at it. I dont know how to do the " EOC and ETC " tests. I got an extended warranty when i bought the truck so i guess i better use it.
For piece of mind, I would definently get it check out. If it turns out you have issues, take advatage of that extended warranty. Also work with different dealers if you have too, to get the job done right. ARP studs..etc..

What year is your rig? do you have the recall sticker showing the newer fill line? Make sure you don't overfill!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I noticed the smell of coolant when standing outside the truck after running. Same thing with my brother's 6.0. Fan turned off and on constantly with mine.

Niether of our trucks showed unusual engine temps, even when there wasn't a drop of coolant left.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Emergency Services

The way I always find out is I hook up my trailer loaded ( 14K lbs ) and tow up a hill. Watch the coolant temp gauge, if it starts rising quickly,,, see your mechanic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.