Wheel sizes. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel sizes.

Hello,

Here's the same old tired thread of some noob asking about wheels and fitment. Please believe me when I say that I've spent countless hours using the site's search "feature" and all I've got is a whole bunch of confusing non-information.

Here's my question:

On my '04, I want to stay with 16" alloys and run 315/75-16's in different brands for different seasons.

When I got the truck, the plain standard wheels were (and are still) holding 315/75-16's, looked cool, but obviously the guy that owned it before was a bit of an uncaring owner as the front tires both rubbed right through the abs sensor harness.

Anyway, obviously the wrong wheels for the tires. I somewhat understand offset/backspacing etc. What I want is a wheel with a large negative offset so that say a 16x10 or 16x8 wheel wouldn't rub the tires on the springs.

Do such beasts exist? If so, what are the measurements that have worked for others, I don't need flash, just alloy wheels that don't suck or aren't too skinny .

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hello?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You want close to zero offset, 0 to -12 is about the limit for reducing rubbing. Going positive gets them too close to the frame/springs at full lock and going further negative gets them closer to the fenders at full lock. You can bend the hard brake line to move the brake/ABS bundle further in away from the tire, just don't get it too close to the shock. I bent mine in slightly so they are centered.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
You want close to zero offset, 0 to -12 is about the limit for reducing rubbing. Going positive gets them too close to the frame/springs at full lock and going further negative gets them closer to the fenders at full lock. You can bend the hard brake line to move the brake/ABS bundle further in away from the tire, just don't get it too close to the shock. I bent mine in slightly so they are centered.
So I was looking at 16x10 wheels which have -25mm offset, I'm assuming from what you say, that it's too much? Will they rub the fenders at -25?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM

How high is your truck? Stock, leveled, lifted?

Stock height, -25 will rub the fenders at full lock and will be about 1.25" from the frame/springs at full lock. My sig shows my '03 with 35x12.50" tires (same as 315/75/16) and -12mm offset.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, I'm not sure, the beast feels tall. But I don't know if it's simply because of the tires, or if it's been lifted/leveled. I can't tell if it's stock or not. The truck is level but it's an F-350 and I don't know if that's the way they came factory. Can one easily tell if it has a mild lift or if it's been leveled?

Can I take pics of something, could you be able to tell?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Take pics of front springs and shackles. If the spring is just two leafs its the stock spring. F350 should be 2-3" high in the back, so it sounds leveled.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I couldn't take pictures b/c it was raining like a .... and now it's dark.

Though I did notice that the front springs have 3 leafs. So now, with your responses you got me thinking about a leveling kit, and I "accidentally" bought one on ebay. It's a 2.8" front mini spring with 4" blocks for the back. If I install those, will that allow me to run 16x10 wheels and 35" tires that won't rub?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 PM

You shouldn't stack two leveling kits, sounds like you have an add-a-leaf now or new front leaf springs. Going higher will throw off your steering geometry and cause more issues. 35s probably won't rub as long as you don't get offset in the zero to -12mm range.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
You shouldn't stack two leveling kits, sounds like you have an add-a-leaf now or new front leaf springs. Going higher will throw off your steering geometry and cause more issues. 35s probably won't rub as long as you don't get offset in the zero to -12mm range.
So earlier you say to get -12mm offset, but now I should get larger offset? Am I interpreting you correctly?

I wasn't planning on stacking the kits, I'll try to find out what's what, the kit is a minispring pack for the front, looks like the other spring is "original" not an add-a-leaf (from pictures I've seen on the net), so maybe it has upgraded springs. I'll figure it out as I go along heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.