To Buy or Not To Buy - First Time Noob - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To Buy or Not To Buy - First Time Noob

Hi All-

I appreciate this forum, and you all are light years ahead of my knowledge. My family is about to out grow our Ford Expedition, with the arrival of our 5th and 6th kids in May/June. I think I want an Excursion, as it has one more seat than our Expedition, but the space behind row 3 is very appealing as well. I'd like to go with a diesel, my father has a 7.3l 250, and loves it. I like the better fuel mileage, and increased reliability.

I'm going to look at a vehicle tomorrow morning and take it for a test drive. I've read that I need to look for white stuff around the coolant cap, I've also read it is worthwhile to smell the tranny dipstick to see if it has a burnt smell. I guess the current owner is original owner, and has all of his service records.

I'd like to know what else I should look for, and any suggestions of things to check on the test drive.

They are asking $19,500.

Here is what I know about the truck:

2004 Ford Excursion

New 4" Turbo back MBRP Exhaust installed over the summer, increases power and towing capacity.

2004 Ford Excursion powerstroke diesel engine. It has about 101,000 miles and is the 8 Passenger. V-8 6.0L powerstroke torque shift 5 speed automatic

It's LOADED with rear entertainment...

EXTERIOR - Ebony/Black Clearcoat
16" Limited aluminum wheels
4" Turbo back MBRP Exhaust
Fog lamps
Illuminated running boards
Roof rack with cross bars - adjustable
44 gallon tank
Electric shift on the fly 4x4 system
Towing package
Telescopic signal mirrors, power, heated, T-T
Reverse sensors
Stabilizer bar - front
ABS - 4 wheel disc brakes
3.73 ratio limited slip axle
Wheel Lip? Rocker Cladding
Lift gate with cargo doors
137" wheelbase

INTERIOR - Medium Parchment Leather (Tan)
Power everything - windows, locks, steering, etc.
Rear control Entertainment System with remote
Leather interior, front captains chairs
Cruise Control
5 power points
3rd row seating
AM/FM Stereo with in-dash 6 CD Changer
Electric auto temp controls with front and rear controls
Rear power side vent windows
Electric mirrors
Driver/Passanger airbags
Anti-theft device
Keyless entry
Heated driver/passanger seats
Full carpet/floor mats all rows/cargo
Homelink
Power with memory driver and passanger seat
Power adjustable pedals with memory
Tilt Steering
Steering wheel controls - climate, stereo, cruise
Convenience group
Wood grain trim accents

We've really loved this vehicle, however we no longer need an 8 passenger vehicle. Runs great, well taken care of and maintained. All filters have been replaced within the last 6 months.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was in a similar situation to you last spring. My family had grown and we needed more space. We do a lot of highway driving and pull a trailer a dozen or more times a year.

I ended up buying a 6.0 excursion. I bought a subscription to carfax and I looked at a lot of vehicles before making my purchase. I had the carfax report and an oasis report run on every vehicle I was considering to purchase. I ended up finding a nice Ex with 89K just outside of the 5 year warranty. It's history with the dealership was an EGR cooler replacement and a couple of other minor things. I did find an excellent post on the forums that explained how to remove the slop in the steering which I did myself. It took maybe and hour and was very simple to do.

We have been extremely happy with it almost a year later. I haven't spent a dime other than maintainence on it and the family loves the space and entertainment system.

Obviously there is no guarantee when you buy a used vehicle but if you do your research you can increase your chances of getting a good one significantly.

Good luck in your search

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.