EGR delete alternative? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question EGR delete alternative?

I had my 2005 F250 4x4 brought in for 90000 miles service to another mechanic and they highly recommended an EGR delete for $2135 with software upgrade and everthing would remain in place, hardly detectable that it was deleted. In their experience, t mostly happen around that milage. This is very costly, but they said that if the EGR fails the motor repair cost would be double. Is this Ford so weak and unreliable?!
I have searched the forum and found a lot of opinions but not a clear answer, only thats illegal and I do not want to go down this path.

What are the alternatives and the risk if I leave it as it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

WELL THEY ARE CHARGING YOU A STUPID AMOUNT FOR JUST AN EGR DELETE.... but alternatives for EGR delete... hmmmmm? being broken down on the side of the road, putting coolant in the truck every couple miles, doing a cummins conversion, driving a rental car, buy a prius.... there are many alternatives... Id say do it, but find someone else fo do studs, EGR delete, and custom tuning... you can buy studs, an egr delete, and get custom tuning for 1500 just for parts, and then labor for all that should be 2000.... but tuning and egr delete only for 2100? thats insanely high....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
WELL THEY ARE CHARGING YOU A STUPID AMOUNT FOR JUST AN EGR DELETE.... but alternatives for EGR delete... hmmmmm? being broken down on the side of the road, putting coolant in the truck every couple miles, doing a cummins conversion, driving a rental car, buy a prius.... there are many alternatives... Id say do it, but find someone else fo do studs, EGR delete, and custom tuning... you can buy studs, an egr delete, and get custom tuning for 1500 just for parts, and then labor for all that should be 2000.... but tuning and egr delete only for 2100? thats insanely high....

I am not a mechanic and I do not know what is necessay to make a Ford250 diesel more reliable. They would install the EGR block off kit, Oil cooler, oil cooler screen and install a modified exhaust pipe (labor: 842, parts 1293). And it is even illegal. I bought this truck mainly to carry my truckcamper. I selected a diesel because they should run more reliable. What I learn now is, that it is obviously not the case.
Can anyone explain for a non mechanic the sequence of events which results in a motor failure and what measures are possible without going illegal?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This looks like it eliminates the EGR valve but would not eliminate the cooler, correct?

Last edited by Granny; 02-12-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: removed quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That BLE one looks like a waste of money...it doesnt look like a full delete from the picture...If you read through the forums you will find tons of information on this including reviews from members who have tried each brand....dont be too lazy too look for it in the search function....lol

Anyways FCDP, GOGO diesel, and Sinister all make pretty good kits along with others....and yes technically you are not supposed to have it on there but if you want your truck to not be singing the 6.0 blues...I would suggest doing it...

Your other option which is 100% legal is to go with the bulletproof oil cooler upgrade...just google it. They are way more expensive than the EGR delete kits but an option if you want to go that way...

To save you a little time as you will find mentioned all over these forums numerous times...to make your truck reliable with the engine that is in it you should at least get the following three things...

1.EGR delete
2.ARP headstuds
3.Custom tunes

and 4. make sure you change your fuel and oil filters regularly...these engines need it and will reward you with a greater lifespan...

Good luck to whatever you choose and
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 AM

Can anyone explain for a non mechanic the sequence of events which results in a motor failure and what measures are possible without going illegal?

Seriously...did you just ask this question? The 6.0:L IS reliable...stop with the unreliable...failure ...self fulfilling prophecies...if you feel impending doom...brother its going to happen. Get used to it...its a mechanical thing. There are hundreds of things that will make your 6.0L last longer...mainly maintenance and upkeep. Don't waste you time and money with that bozo "Another Mechanic".

Last edited by MoyockPowerstroke; 02-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't know...but here in my town...I see 100's of 6.0s on the road every day....most are passing me ....I see them pulling campers..I see them pulling trailers....I see them everywhere....and not one on the side of the road broken down...I am sure some of them have mech problems...but if the 6.0 is as bad as some folks say they are...why aren't they dead on the side of the road everywhere we look.....sure there are some weak links in the 6.0...but I drive a 06 dodge cummins at work....motor good but the truck falls apart around it...
Too many 6.0s on the road...and remember bad news travels fast
Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
I don't have any idea what kit the OP is talking about, but it doesn't seem to be a full delete kit, but he mentions "software upgrade" maybe meaning a tuner? I dunno, but if we do and egr delete and oil cooler rebuild its 1500.00 including an oil change, and then if we add a SCT tuner, its 429.00 more, so total would be 1929.00, but again, that's OUR prices, I have no clue what the OP is talking about or what parts that they are selling him.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
I don't have any idea what kit the OP is talking about, but it doesn't seem to be a full delete kit, but he mentions "software upgrade" maybe meaning a tuner? I dunno, but if we do and egr delete and oil cooler rebuild its 1500.00 including an oil change, and then if we add a SCT tuner, its 429.00 more, so total would be 1929.00, but again, that's OUR prices, I have no clue what the OP is talking about or what parts that they are selling him.
Not sure...I guess it could either mean one of two things....

1. a tuner

2. maybe update factory programming to latest update
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 AM

Probably just a stock program with no EGR function......It sounds like they are making their own kit also, or charging through the nose for somebody elses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.