I goofed and erased my re-flash from Ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I goofed and erased my re-flash from Ford

Yup, hindsight is 20/20. I didn't know about needing to unlock my Xcal2 before re-installing my tunes.

I returned my truck to stock after goofing and it is reading my old strategy of VXCF5H5.

Is there any possible way to retrieve the re-flash that I rec'd from my local Ford dealership 2 weeks ago? It was supposed to help with the cold start issue and some other things. I absolutely hate knowing that I did this. I wish I would have known about the "unlocking" of my xcal2.

I can't see myself going back to the dealership and saying, "Oh by the way, I lost the re-flash."

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobRN View Post
Yup, hindsight is 20/20. I didn't know about needing to unlock my Xcal2 before re-installing my tunes.

I returned my truck to stock after goofing and it is reading my old strategy of VXCF5H5.

Is there any possible way to retrieve the re-flash that I rec'd from my local Ford dealership 2 weeks ago? It was supposed to help with the cold start issue and some other things. I absolutely hate knowing that I did this. I wish I would have known about the "unlocking" of my xcal2.

I can't see myself going back to the dealership and saying, "Oh by the way, I lost the re-flash."

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
NO other way...sorry. Seriously...go back and offer the tech a copy of your business card in the shape of a $20 bill....tell him lunch is on you. Be honest and tell him you need a re-pop. I'd even call ahead (if you don't know the tech personally) and ask the service advisor if you could ask him to call you or see if he can come to the phone...just ask him if you come down can you get a couple of minutes of his time while he's on break or at lunch.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Incidentally...did you get your tunes updated for the VXCF9 strategy?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
NO other way...sorry. Seriously...go back and offer the tech a copy of your business card in the shape of a $20 bill....tell him lunch is on you. Be honest and tell him you need a re-pop. I'd even call ahead (if you don't know the tech personally) and ask the service advisor if you could ask him to call you or see if he can come to the phone...just ask him if you come down can you get a couple of minutes of his time while he's on break or at lunch.
Sounds like a plan
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
Incidentally...did you get your tunes updated for the VXCF9 strategy?
No. Do I have to pay for new tunes, or just an update through Innovative?

Lets say I didn't erase the reflash and unlocked my xcal2 like I was supposed to. Would my current tunes work that I rec'd using the old strategy?

I'm smelling coming out of pocket either way.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
No. Do I have to pay for new tunes, or just an update through Innovative?

Lets say I didn't erase the reflash and unlocked my xcal2 like I was supposed to. Would my current tunes work that I rec'd using the old strategy?

I'm smelling coming out of pocket either way.
If you update your PCM strategy code to VXCF9, then yes you will need custom tunes that support this new strategy. Innovative should just update the files you purchased previously from them and send you the updates at no charge, or a small fee...you would have to contact them iot find out how they handle this...its not uncommon for their customers to get an updated flash from ford, so they're used to re-writing your files. The XCal2's VXCF5 custom tunes are no good and could cause problems with the new ford calibration flash update.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM

what would be the downside to keeping my old flash and strategy and continue using the tunes I have?

Is the flash I erased that necessary? My truck is still running.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
what would be the downside to keeping my old flash and strategy and continue using the tunes I have?

Is the flash I erased that necessary? My truck is still running.
None really. But, I would at least attempt to see if the dealer is willing to work with you in re-flashing your pcm without additional cost. If so, I'd consider putting down a few dollars more on updated tunes from Matt @ Gearhead if Eric won't help you out with free updates to your current tunes. Matt @ Gearhead is becoming very popular and his tunes are what is considered now the choice tunes...especially his Street Race Lite (150hp), smooth trans-shift.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Would his street race lite be equivalent to ID's extreme street?
I have no ARP studs and the strongest tune I have is ID's Street tune.
And yes, I've been reading a lot of good feedback on Gearhead's tunes.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Would his street race lite be equivalent to ID's extreme street?
I have no ARP studs and the strongest tune I have is ID's Street tune.
And yes, I've been reading a lot of good feedback on Gearhead's tunes.
I'm reading at times that it is. The SRL is a 150hp tune that is safe for non-studded machines. As long as you drive conservatively (i.e. under 2000 rpms and 10psi boost) you will see the best fuel economy. I have Matt's SRL, Street (100hp), TowPig (75hp), and Trans Only (No HP)....I don't have Eric's tunes, so I have nothing to compare...just that I hear Matt's shifting is smoother...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.