EGR I've read to much... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR I've read to much...

I have an 03 with 40K, it's not my daily driver obviously. I had my first problem about a week ago got the EGR code. I erased it and it has come back a couple times now? My question is all I do is tow our toy hauler 10K no grocery store runs.

I have read every free minute I get for the last 3 days, now I'm in overload I'm taking a about a 4K trip in 2 months with the trailer and I want to have the problem fixed right.

I don't have the coin for studs and complete EGR delete at this point (expensive trip) but I've read about unplugging the EGR and capping off the plate, what is your input for the 03. I read about a plate that was for 03 04 is it as simple as that.

I don't have any serious mods straight piped 4" and AFE intake no chips or programers, I am on top of my services oil, fuel and coolant.

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure about the block-off plate, but I have read alot about unplugging them for a temporary fix...Most everything I read says its ok for the short-term.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

It will throw a code but it will not hurt anything . Just do it when the engine is cold, as the valve will be closed. The only issue would be blow by if you were really on it hard, but still no issue really.

edit: forgot to mention that no matter what you do, up to and including a complete delete, it will throw a CEL. The only thing that will get rid of it is a capable tuner like ans SCT.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Oh yeah, and make sure the truck is off (not running) when you unplug the EGR Valve. I just remembered that when I saw your post Chris, thanks.

I have read on some threads that the '03 and '04 trucks don't throw a code, but I don't know this to be true, just what I have read.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgreen_555 View Post
Oh yeah, and make sure the truck is off (not running) when you unplug the EGR Valve. I just remembered that when I saw your post Chris, thanks.

I have read on some threads that the '03 and '04 trucks don't throw a code, but I don't know this to be true, just what I have read.

i'll let yah know, I just did an EGR delete and don't have a tuner yet, so I'll let you know how my '04 reacts
Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks, I see you got the RCD kit, how was the installation, or have you done it yet...I am gonna order one in the very near future and have looked at the RCD kit...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgreen_555 View Post
Thanks, I see you got the RCD kit, how was the installation, or have you done it yet...I am gonna order one in the very near future and have looked at the RCD kit...
i have it installed, got the heads back from the machine shop today so the motor'll be going back together tomorrow.

my initial impression is the cost is good and the quality is top notch.

should have the truck fired up by friday, so i'll keep ya'll up dated. I'd imagine it'll be a good product, i've heard good things about it
Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, with the engine cold all I do is unplug the EGR, does that keep the gasses from going through the cooler? If so is just leaving if unplugged a ling term solution?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM

If yours is an 03-04. It shouldn't throw a code for the egr being unplugged, only the 05 and up will throw an egr code, I may be wrong but I had mine unplugged before I got my tunes( the tunes shut it off) and I didn't get a code.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So with the EGR closed it bypasses the cooler? If so what is the point of the delete kit? I must be missing something, I suppose the exhaust could back flow through the cooler.

I was going to clean the EGR this weekend should I even worry about if I unplug it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.