VC-9 Coolant system cleaning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VC-9 Coolant system cleaning

Concerning a coolant change..when using the VC-9 cleaning solution from Mtorcraft, do I have to remove both LH and RH cylinder head drain plugs???....I have not heard of this step before?....How many quarts of the VC-9 do i need...just 2? Can someone clarify this step in doing the system cleaning, or better yet is this step in removing the drain plugs from the cylinder heads required???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

2 qt's required. It's probably best to use distilled water for the flush but I only did the last fresh water flush with distilled then refilled with coolant and distilled water. The driver side block drain plug is easy to remove, 8mm allen. Don't try using a L-shaped wrench, buy a 3/8" drive 8mm hex driver if you don't already have one. Drain the radiator first by using the pet****, then drop the lower hose to get even more out. I'd guess another 3 gallon's are in the block/heads which is removed by pulling both plugs.

Most guy's will drop the driver side plug but never the pass. side. This involves removing the starter as the pass. side plug is behind it. I did that 3 times during my flush but I'm usually very thorough. I have read that long ball end hex can remove it without pulling the starter but I kind of doubt it, it's RIGHT behind the starter. I had pulling the starter down to about 5 mins top. There is a TSB on flushing a contaminated cooling system which I followed. It was written to flush systems contaminated with oil but I flushed my normal system with it. My coolant was nasty at 70k miles. I would follow the TSB again if I had it to do over again. If you want to save yourself some time just drop the drivers side drain plug. You'll need to remove your thermostat and rig up a set of hoses under the degass bottle to flush with a garden hose. I pulled both drain plugs and the radiator drain **** and let the hose run through it for quite a while before running simple green and then VC-9 through the engine. If you do not have the high idle mod done already I would advise that during the hour long run times with the VC-9 and simple green. Any more questions just me know. I've never had an oil/EGR cooler or HG failure at 83k miles.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM

TSB 08-23-1
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Hey Banshee when you say rig up a set of hoses under the degass bottle to flush with a garden hose..this is only if your going to use a garden hose to flush with tap water...correct....if i am using distilled water then i do not need to rig up any set of hoses do I....?....Just simply pour in degass bottle drain then repeat correct?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 PM

The way I setup the hoses is the way the TSB shows. I flushed with tap water for a little while. I then filled with simple green and tap water. Drained along with both block plugs and refilled with VC-9 and distilled water, drained all plugs again, filled with distilled water to get the VC-9 out, drained again without dropping the pass. side plug and refilled with the correct mixture. Not a huge difference between tap and distilled depending on your location. It's not like adding a little bit of tap water will contaminate the whole system or something. As long as it's mostly distilled I'd be happy. Remember to keep up on your nitrite level's checked with strips after you'r done as regular maintenance.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee365 View Post

awesome! thanks for the link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.