Dumb Question??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb Question???

My trucks engine is dirty...and I would like to spray some degreaser on it then hose/pressure wash it down. My question is what electronics do I need to absolutely stay away from and which ones are fine? Also should I leave the truck running when doing so? Sorry for the ignorant question just do not want to ruin anything.....thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM

I always just blasted away, make sure all of the rubber hoses are tight
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM

did you leave it running while blasting away
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM

no, also it is a good idea to clean your radiator just make sure not to spay side to side, up and down only this help to keep the fins straight
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Check your Diesel Supplement to the Owners Manual. Here is what is posted for 2004:

Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keeps the engine warmer than normal.

When washing:
Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine - 1000 psi maximum! The high-pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.

Never apply anything to any exposed belts in the engine compartment, including the belt dressing.

Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block or other engine components.

Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser (ZC-20) on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean.

Never wash or rinse the engine while it is running; water in the running engine may cause internal damage.

Cover the highlighted areas (in the owner's guide) to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine. See below for a list.

Best not to spray the detergent directly on any electrical connectors

After the rinsing, the engine needs to be blown with compressed air to get any noticeable water off it, then, it needs to idle for 15 minutes up to operating temp before being driven. This basically gives it a protective clean barrier, as opposed to new dirt which will start to accumulate new residue.

You really want to protect your PCM (to the right of your drivers side battery - it should already have a plastic cover protecting it, but I would cover it up some more w/ plastic). Also, cover both batteries, the Fuel Injection Control Module "FICM" (silver box at the back of the engine under the degas bottle), the glow plug control module "GPCM" (under alternator), and the relay box (drivers side - back corner of engine area). I also cover my alternator as good as possible and also the starter. Also cover the air filter assembly.

Wash it "front end UP" so that the cleaner and water accumulates in the valley can run off the back of the motor. You might want use something (large piece of cardboard) to catch the runoff or protect your driveway from getting oily. It will probably go down both sides of the bellhousing.

Don't use anything that is corrosive to aluminum such as simple green or greased lightning. You'll have electrical connection issues. I know some people that use Simple Green anyway .... if you just have to DO NOT LET IT SIT LONG! Wash it off quickly.

The simple green website says that the akalinity of simple green can accelerate the normal corrosion you get from aluminum & water. Thus it says not to allow simple green to sit on bare aluminum for more than 10 minutes. I may still use simple green but will definately follow their instructions.

Last edited by bismic; 02-02-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Thank you for posting that...my only question is "where are the pictures"

So basically wrap the filter, batteries and fuse box, ficm, gpcm, pcm, possibly the alternator and make sure to leave the engine in the off position. Wonder what happens when it rains and you are driving down the road

Once again guys thanks for the help..

The reason I asked this question is because one of our shop guys cleaned an engine on a F150 and when he went to start it the engine did nothing. Ended up costing like $1800 for the repair

Last edited by jayman69; 02-02-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM

i wash mine all the time, best rule of thumb, dont ever point it directly at anything electrical or any sort of joint, fitting, anything that water might penitrate, at close range. I wouldnt say it needs to be running, just be very articulate wit the wand.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
black magic engine degreaser and shine works really well, it does work better on a warm (not hot) motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.