Battery Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Battery Question

Ok so one of my batteries bit the dust last night. It was about 6 degrees and it was totally dead this morning would not even take a charge. So I replaced it and everything works fine, started right up after replacement. Truck is an 06 model bought in Sept of 06 still had the original batteries in it. So my question is should I go ahead and replace the other battery now or just wait until it starts to go bad. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Raging Lunatic

On our trucks it is always best to replace them as a unit. I know it's expensive, but in the long run it's the right thing to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM

That is what I figured, just thought I would ask first.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to stumblefoot
I was having problems keeping mine charged, in my part of TX the temp isnt really a problem, took it into dealership in Lampasas, each battery had 2 dead cells. I think they were original in an 07. I had both replaced. Probably could have gotten cheaper batteries and done it myself but I was out of state and wife took it in. Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and get it done.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
On our trucks it is always best to replace them as a unit. I know it's expensive, but in the long run it's the right thing to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

should always replace them in pairs.
Ill be buying 2 new ones very soon my 5 year old wal-mart batts. aren't cutting it any more
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do both at the same time..
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM

I have had good luck throwing a battery charger on the batteries a couple times a year over night, seems to extend the batteries life. I do this on everything I own and while it doesn't always work it does help many batteries go for a long time. Recently my wife left the lights on for about an hour on my 04 with a 6.0L, the next morning at -10F it wouldn't even run the glow plugs with out all the lights on the dash blinking. So I put the charger on it for about 24 hours and eveything was good the next day. A week later at -35F it cranked like crazy and for a long time, actually ended up testing it to see how long I could crank it ( I was stopping every 30 sxeconds or so and letting cool a bit ) but I was amazed at how long it cranked. But I got cold and threw the battery charger on it and plugged in the block. after a couple hours it started at about -25F. I wanted to see if the 15W-40 Amsoil would work, it does at -10F but not at -35F unless you plug it in. Whew, sorry this seems long.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look at it this way... you can replace that second battery in the evening at home, when you have the time to look for a good deal and take your time putting it in, or...

you can replace it after it died in a parking lot heaven knows where, and you have to call someone to come get you to get a new one, and you pay whatever price the nearest seller is asking, and then you get to replace it in the parking lot, regardless of what the weather is like.

One way or another, you'll probably be replacing that battery soon. Save yourself some trouble and replace it at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.