Engine Oil Temperature ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Oil Temperature ?

I have a 06 that has a 4 inch exhaust and I am now running stock tune. I have a edge insight and today while I was driving down the road I happened to switch screens and looked at my engine oil temp. It was reading 205. When I switched screens my coolant temp was reading 180. Does this sound like I am having trouble with my oil cooler? This was traveling down the interstate at around 70 with just the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How cold was the outside air?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

right around 20 degrees out.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
could be an oil cooler issue, I suggests adjusting your insight to the quad display and having the coolant temp right beside the oil temp, keep an the two temps over the next couple day at operating temps and see what it does, if its consistently that much higher, you have some issues. This is why its such a good idea to have a water and oil temp gauge.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, how would someone even know there was a issue with there truck if they didn't have gauges? I don't notice my truck running bad or anything. When the temperatures are like this does it throw a code in the truck? And my last question is when does ford decide that their is a problem and change the oil cooler? I am just wondering if I take the truck in and say it runs fine but I think my oil temp is to high what response will I get?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
Ok, how would someone even know there was a issue with there truck if they didn't have gauges? I don't notice my truck running bad or anything. When the temperatures are like this does it throw a code in the truck? And my last question is when does ford decide that their is a problem and change the oil cooler? I am just wondering if I take the truck in and say it runs fine but I think my oil temp is to high what response will I get?
You wouldnt know until it failed. If you have the most recent flash on your pcm then it would throw a code for the temp differences. If it goes over a 15* difference is when Ford will replace.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So when the oil cooler starts to fail what happens? Sorry about all the questions but I am not sure about how all this ties together. Oh and my truck has VXCF1 strategy in it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
So when the oil cooler starts to fail what happens? Sorry about all the questions but I am not sure about how all this ties together. Oh and my truck has VXCF1 strategy in it.
yes, ford will datalog the truck and see the temp difference, they will then replace the EGR and Oil cooler most likely when they see that temp difference. When the oil cooler starts to fail it can be because of a failing EGR cooler not allowing enough flow of coolant out of the oil cooler or the oil cooler could be internally restricted reducing coolant flow, if its left like this, you can have a mess, with oil mixing with coolant. Keep an eye on it over the weekend, if you continue to see the temp diff. and are still under warranty, take it to the dealer on Monday and tell them you are seeing a 15* difference between oil and coolant temps, the tech will datalog it and see the same data you are seeing with your insight.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok, thank you.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow, I just got an Insight installed and I am finding my oil temp is 30 degrees hotter than the coolant. I towed (maybe 6000lbs on mostly flat land) over to the local race track today and it got to be 40 higher (230 degree oil temp) and it was only 65 outside temp today. I am freaked now. Out of warranty by about three months (that figures) so I will make some calls on Monday to see if I can find a place to delete the EGR and I guess they will need to replace the oil cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.