Service Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Service Question

Last time i took my truck to the dealer they said i need to consider doing a transfer case flush, tranny flush, and rear differential service. Truck has 46k miles on it. Doing this would cost me like 500 bucks. Is this something i should consider or are they just trying to get some cash out of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do it yourself not to hard
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmadd View Post
Do it yourself not to hard
i concur, and if you do either get a tube you can put on the end of the bottle or some kind of fluid pump for doing the transfer case.

i'd do both axles and tansfer case, tranny that's your call if you wanna do it yourself

for the transfer case there are two plugs, remove the lower plug and i removed the upper to get the fluid out faster. once it's drained put the lower plug back in and fill it up till its at the level with upper plug hole, should just start to ooze out of the hole and then put the plug back in and it's good.

for the front and rear diff. remove the bolts on the lower half of the diff cover and loosen the bolts on the top half and then pull the cover away from the housing at the bottom letting the old diff lube drain out. once it's drained remove the cover and clean it up the a little bit. you'll have to peal the old sealant off the cover and then just reapply black RTV sealant to the mounting surface of the cover. then put the cover back on and tighten it down. once the cover is re-installed just fill it up with the fluid till it oozes out of the fill hole.

a side note, if you have a limited slip rear end you will need to add 4oz. of friction modifier additive to your lube in the rear end

for the transfer case, it just uses regular old ATF and it calls for 2.0 quarts

the front diff calls for 2.7L of 75w90 and the rear diff calls for 3.3L of 75w140

Last edited by 6point0damn2004; 01-29-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 AM

The machine they use at the dealer sucks it out through the fill hole and then refills through the same hole.You can use a suction gun for the axles for the drain and fill and use it to fill the transfer case.For the most part the axles use 75/140 synthetic and atf for the case.Some front axles use 80/90.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM

I think the drain procedure above (i6point0damn2004's way) is a better bet--you get all of the old oil out that way, you can inspect the gears for damage, and you don't have to buy any specialized tools. 6point0damn2004 has it pretty down--except that I would remove the fill hole plugs first to ensure you don't have any problems...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
I think the drain procedure above (i6point0damn2004's way) is a better bet--you get all of the old oil out that way, you can inspect the gears for damage, and you don't have to buy any specialized tools. 6point0damn2004 has it pretty down--except that I would remove the fill hole plugs first to ensure you don't have any problems...
exactly my reasoning
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM

I do mine old school somewhat.I pull the cover but fill with the suction gun or I use the machine here.I like to see whats in the cover myself.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Speaking of which, in my Silverado SS, the "ideal" transfer case replacement fluid was GM AccuTrak fluid (blue stuff)--is there a similar "best" tc fluid for our Powerstrokes? And is it ok to use Mobile 1 in the diffs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.