For the people with the 6.0 "FIXES" done... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
For the people with the 6.0 "FIXES" done...

Hey guys I am just trying to get some input from the people who have done the fixes to make the 6.0 "Bulletproof" (EGR delete,ARP studs, SCT Programmer)

Have any of you that have sunk all this money into your 6.0 doing the required mods to make this thing supposedly reliable still had problems with the engine after doing the mods?? breakdowns, left stranded,etc???

Im just curious on the advice from people who already have these done and been driving with them a while...

Thanks guys,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 779
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
you can stil have injectors fail, ficm go out, high pressure oil system issues. by doing thte egr delete and studs, you have taken care of 2 major engine failure that 6.0 have, but any number of things can fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So in otherwords...there really is no way to make this thing as reliable as a cummins?

Haha still debating on the swap but I would like to keep whats in it now...just so many things on this engine to go wrong...I know every engine can have things go wrong but I dont feel like being broke down on the side of the road this summer while towing my boat...That is embarrassing and just an all around PITA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins has there issues too. As for me, I've only had one issue and that was a rear main seal leak at 60,000 miles. I have just shy of 100,000 miles and still have stock head gaskets/bolts...the original EGR cooler and original injectors....not one issue to date. I do have the latest FORD flash and critical gauges. But Ive towed heavy weight from Fl to TX...beat on it a couple times a week and keep the synthetic oil change and fuel filters changed regularly. I know something is bound to happen soon, but so far so good. If you do the head gaskets and EGR delete, the damn 6.0 should be stout for a long time...given maintenance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
Posts: 3,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmasterdieseltech View Post
you can stil have injectors fail, ficm go out, high pressure oil system issues. by doing thte egr delete and studs, you have taken care of 2 major engine failure that 6.0 have, but any number of things can fail
very good and honest reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
So in otherwords...there really is no way to make this thing as reliable as a cummins?

Haha still debating on the swap but I would like to keep whats in it now...just so many things on this engine to go wrong...I know every engine can have things go wrong but I dont feel like being broke down on the side of the road this summer while towing my boat...That is embarrassing and just an all around PITA
If you think cummins never have any issues, you should go to the local dodge dealership and look at their service department, EVERY BRAND HAS FAILURES AND WEAK LINKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddestt View Post
Cummins has there issues too. As for me, I've only had one issue and that was a rear main seal leak at 60,000 miles. I have just shy of 100,000 miles and still have stock head gaskets/bolts...the original EGR cooler and original injectors....not one issue to date. I do have the latest FORD flash and critical gauges. But Ive towed heavy weight from Fl to TX...beat on it a couple times a week and keep the synthetic oil change and fuel filters changed regularly. I know something is bound to happen soon, but so far so good. If you do the head gaskets and EGR delete, the damn 6.0 should be stout for a long time...given maintenance
another good reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got it all done and I still puke and overheat. I can only pull a 2 place sno trailer with an f-350! Shoulda bought a prius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
Posts: 3,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2davis1 View Post
I got it all done and I still puke and overheat. I can only pull a 2 place sno trailer with an f-350! Shoulda bought a prius.
if you are still puking with new headgaskets, studs and EGR delete, you have other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im pullin the cab on tuesday and gettin my heads milled. They were only straight edged the first time so thats what im puttin my money on. Learned my lesson, do it the first time and save yourself the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Musella, Ga
Posts: 1,462
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can do a lot of freakin' work to a 6.0 for what a Cummins conversion cost.

And....I am speculating here as I have never owned/driven a converted truck but depending on who did it and what parts are used I would think it would take just as much fixing/tweaking to keep it going as a 6.0. You're basically bolting a bunch of mix-matched parts together and common sense tells me that's not gonna be bullet proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM
scuffs *****

 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oakwood, OH
Posts: 5,272
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I did the bullet proof kit... only got about 1,000 miles on it but haven't had any issues so far... you can see by looking at the new egr cooler that its definitley a better design. And the new oil cooler is much better. It does run a tad bit better, and also makes about 4 pounds of boost higher... waiting on the Xtreme Street tune to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors