head studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
head studs

has any one had any luck doing head studs one at a time on the 6.0 i really dont want to take it all the way down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think there is a few that have done it and been fine.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

I asked the same question recently. Definitely debatable. Someone kept talking about torque patterns and never do it one at a time. Common sense says if you do this one stud at a time, to go in the order of the torque sequence. If you never break the seal of the gasket, you should never have an issue by swapping one bolt/stud at a time.

stud swap
Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

There should be no debate on this issue. I have been a diesel tech for 26 years, both light/heavy and heavy duty. in all that time I have yet to see any type of manufacturer service info describing such a procedure. you might get away with using such a procedure a time or two, but if you knew anything about an MLS gasket and have any experience with the 6.0 liter powerstroke diesel, you would not even consider replacing the bolts with studs one at a time. if you have towed heavy loads with your 6.0, or have dogged it at all, there is a high degree of probability you are already on the verge of head bolt/head gasket failure, even it it does not cause a problem right away, it will only postpone the inevitable.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
There should be no debate on this issue. I have been a diesel tech for 26 years, both light/heavy and heavy duty. in all that time I have yet to see any type of manufacturer service info describing such a procedure. you might get away with using such a procedure a time or two, but if you knew anything about an MLS gasket and have any experience with the 6.0 liter powerstroke diesel, you would not even consider replacing the bolts with studs one at a time. if you have towed heavy loads with your 6.0, or have dogged it at all, there is a high degree of probability you are already on the verge of head bolt/head gasket failure, even it it does not cause a problem right away, it will only postpone the inevitable.
So my truck is in the shop, under warranty, for a blown EGR cooler and Oil cooler. The diesel technician at the Ford dealership is going to install ARP studs and an EGR delete for me under warranty. Is he going to tear it all apart to see if it has bad headgaskets? He said he ws going to replace the EGR and Oil cooler and then he can tell if it has bad headgaskets.

What does he mean by this? I'm pretty sure it has blown headgaskets, as it has towed heavy loads it's entire 120,000 mile life. So how is he going to be able to tell if it has blown headgaskets or not?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure how he is going to test it for a HG leak, there are several methods. if it is loosing coolant and the egr cooler passes the bench test, then it would be a pretty sure bet a HG has failed. I have seen both HG and cooler failure at the same time. the latest TSB -related to coolant loss, HG and cooler failure testing, hopefully the tech knows how to read and has performed steps to determine the cause, but it is not always cut and dried, sometimes we have to drive the meat out of them to get a failed HG to reveal itself, this is common in the early stages of head bolt/gasket failure. I always prefer coolant running out of the tail pipe, makes it easier, lol
Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
if your going to install stud, spend the extra time to tear it down all the way and do it right, anyone who would do them one by one is asking for trouble
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how he is going to test it for a HG leak, there are several methods. if it is loosing coolant and the egr cooler passes the bench test, then it would be a pretty sure bet a HG has failed. I have seen both HG and cooler failure at the same time. the latest TSB -related to coolant loss, HG and cooler failure testing, hopefully the tech knows how to read and has performed steps to determine the cause, but it is not always cut and dried, sometimes we have to drive the meat out of them to get a failed HG to reveal itself, this is common in the early stages of head bolt/gasket failure. I always prefer coolant running out of the tail pipe, makes it easier, lol
Haha wow, I had coolant coming out of my tailpipe lol! Here's what came out:

I told the service manager that it was puking coolant put the degas and the tailpipe when she was filling out the service ticket! Hopefully it is headgaskets!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 PM

yeah, most likely a HG. the dealer I deal with will do studs on a warranty HG repair if the customer supplies them, not sure how they get away with that? hopefully they'll do it for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
yeah, most likely a HG. the dealer I deal with will do studs on a warranty HG repair if the customer supplies them, not sure how they get away with that? hopefully they'll do it for you.
I'm hoping it's a HG!!!!!!!

But the tech told me it was definitely an EGR and Oil Cooler fail, and he would install ARP's and an EGR delete if i supplied them

I'm assuming he knows its a bad headgasket if he told me to order ARP's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.