Friend possibly looking at this truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Friend possibly looking at this truck.

2005 Ford F250 Extended Cab

My buddy just got stuck needing a truck asap. Anything he should really look at? 125k miles to much? I'm a 7.3 owner myself and know the early 6.0s had their issues, but were the figured out by 2005? What should he be concerned about for sure? Should I try to talk him into a 7.3?

He tows pretty much daily as I do, not a huge amount of weight, but his half ton, other than being totaled the other night, is starting to show its age hauling every day.

It will remain bone stock, but see several thousand miles towing, mostly in city each year. I might talk him into an exhaust and intake at some point, but for now he just needs an extended cab or crew cab long bed diesel for under $10-12k with a reasonable amount of mileage asap.

Appreciate the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check if the de gas bottle looks like it has been puking coolant, coolant level and oil level,ask how often he did his regular maitnince especially fuel filters, regular stuff!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

10-4 on the routine maintenance, we'll definitely will be asking about that. I was mostly concerned about the 6.0 since I've heard the horror stories, but also heard that they got better later in the run.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got 188K towing miles on my 6.0L. I run a race file on an sct and have finally ran into injector problems.
If I was doing light loads under 8k daily I would buy another 6.0L. But the second poster is correct. Mait is very important on these motors. I love mine. Pulls great.
But I did just buy a 7.3
There is a number of things he needs to look at when he lands on a truck.
Post then and I or anyone can lust them along with questions that should be asked
Good luck.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
There is a number of things he needs to look at when he lands on a truck.
Post then and I or anyone can lust them along with questions that should be asked
Good luck.
He is seriously looking at the one in the link I posted in my first post. I went and looked at it today at the dealer after they closed to avoid any salespeople. The truck looks great, and he is very interested in it, although he is still shopping.

What should he ask? He wants to take it to his mechanic, but wants to look for whatever he should and ask whatever questions before he spends any money on it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.