Bigger sticks and fuel system..or down payment on 6.4??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bigger sticks and fuel system..or down payment on 6.4???

Heres the big question, current truck in sig, 118k on her now. been a heck of a truck. ive done every mod to it myself. put alot of time and heart into it. never left me stranded.. Im not saying ive never been frustrated with it, but overall i cant complain!

This spring i was planning on doing an upgraded fuel system, RR or Airdog2 etc. and puttin a set of bigger sticks in it, was thinking about some 190s.. basically i want to hit 500hp and call it done..but at the same time, with the mileage its got it wont be long untill its going to need ball joints, u-joints, bushings shocks etc.etc. ..doesnt really bother me, its all cake work..but can be expensive!

the question is, might it be better to take the cost of bigger sticks and a fuel system and throw it down on a new or used 6.4 and trade the 6.0 in. start all over with a newer truck, have warranty..newer parts and basically not have to deal with the up keep of a higher mileage 6.0.

i havnt made up my mind at all, just thought i would get others opinions on the subject. Im starting to struggle justifying spending the extra cash on building the 6.0 when im not so sure i want to keep it for a long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Strokeorcroak Send a message via Yahoo to Strokeorcroak
You have fixed most of the problems the 6.0's have so its going to last quite awhile, even though they all do have their problems.

It totally depends how attached you are to it. If you buy a new truck you can get 560hp of an intake, tuner, exhaust but it will cost you quite a bit with all the new stuff!

If it was me i would keep the truck you have already started..... build that baby up! I always says it "built not bought"
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM

if i had the option and money i wud go wit the 6.4. your talking about 500hp when u add the bigger sticks.... get a spartan, intake, and exhaust and u got closer to 600hp wit the 6.4.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM

see thats the real difficult part, I would love to have a new truck, but i dont know if i could watch mine leave, might sound a bit crazy, but i am extremely attached to my truck now, when i bought it i set out to build it into the truck that i always wanted, and im nearly there, but at the same time, i like to keep up to date with the times, and a new truck would do just that..

I might ad its not about the easy power either, I love the challenge of building a fast and reliable 6.0! makes it soo much sweeter when you take down a cummins or dmax in a comptition

as far as the "built not bought".. couldnt agree more!!!! I might put that in my sig right now!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 PM

i completely understand that. if u keep it set u a real nice goal like a 1000hp 6.0. haha. ive seen one video of it.... mmmmm must be nice to have money like that. i love my 6.0 and i plan on lotttts of mods and make it more reliable. good luck wit ur decision
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Coming from a fellow 6.0 owner... I'd be sending that thing and signing up for a 6.4 tomorrow! I've already committed to myself that I wont put any more money into my 6.0 with go-fast parts. I just cant keep it as reliable as I'd like and you end up dumping thousands for a fuel system, injectors, turbo, transmission... for what... to live at just over 500hp? No thanks.

All the money you're going to put into your truck with a fuel system, sticks, turbo and so on and so on, and all you'll need is a programmer and DPF delete on a 6.4 to be at that level!

I hear you on missing the truck though, after you put all that work into it... but once you're stomping on the skinny pedal of your new 6.4 you'll forget all about it!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
Coming from a fellow 6.0 owner... I'd be sending that thing and signing up for a 6.4 tomorrow! I've already committed to myself that I wont put any more money into my 6.0 with go-fast parts. I just cant keep it as reliable as I'd like and you end up dumping thousands for a fuel system, injectors, turbo, transmission... for what... to live at just over 500hp? No thanks.

All the money you're going to put into your truck with a fuel system, sticks, turbo and so on and so on, and all you'll need is a programmer and DPF delete on a 6.4 to be at that level!

I hear you on missing the truck though, after you put all that work into it... but once you're stomping on the skinny pedal of your new 6.4 you'll forget all about it!
i knew what your answer was going to be before i even read it! You've been talkin about a 6.4 for awhile now, And i hope you get it some day I think were both in the same boat, we both want one, but those trucks arent cheap!!!

I think with a good trade in number and some cash to throw down i could swing it just fine for a low mileage 08 or maybe an 09, (dont know if there will be much $$$ left to tune it though!.) now just making the executive decision to do it! Thanks for the input!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Are there any problems with the 6.4 that are well known like the ones for the 6.0.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
radiator leaks, hp fuel pump and gasket issues, front cover cavitaion, thermostats, ive had to do 5 or 6 shortblocks from injectors over fueling and putting a whole in a piston usually #2 or #8 is the culprit. occasional horizontal egr cooler. and some dpf issues.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM

sounds to me like same ol sh*t, different diaper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.