Ford now or Dodge later? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford now or Dodge later?

Long story short my friend is a dodge guy but his dads friend recently had a stroke and has offered him his 2007 f250 fx4 with 20,000 miles on it for pretty cheap since he can no longer drive. The truck has never been tuned and has never had any problems that i'm aware of. He was going to purchase a 2006 dodge with the 5.9 sometime in the fall, but thinks this deal might be to good to pass up. I've heard the stories about the 6.0 but also heard they had most of the issues fixed by the 07 model. What should my friend do and what kind of mpg can he expect sorry don't know what gears this truck has i'm sure that makes a big difference? Also he doesn't plan on adding a tuner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Just my own experience: my 06 F350 has been pretty solid for 98k miles, and I've left the engine stock. I looked into adding power, but to do it right and not blow up the engine will set you back quite a bit, up in the thousands. If it has always been stock, and he plans on leaving the engine alone, I'd take the F250 over a Dodge any day, as the rest of the truck is so much better. Stronger transmission - it's very rare to see even modded PS's having trouble with the 5R110 transmission, whereas auto trans failure is common on even stock Dodges. Interior is more solidly built and doesn't come apart. Handles better, rides a lot smoother, brakes are stronger.

Not always, but a lot of times you see trouble with the 05 and later 6.0's, there are improper engine mods involved, or improper operation of a modded engine (like they didn't watch the exhaust temp gauge). You can get more power from them, but there's a lot more to it than just plugging in a tuner, setting it to 'looney', and flooring it. That'll get you a new set of head gaskets, the hard way. I thought about adding power, but when I saw what it costs to do it right, and what it costs when you don't do it right, I figured mine had plenty of power in stock form. And it's been very reliable.

Mileage? Highly dependent on driving style. My F350 with crew cab and dually rear gets 14-15 in town, 18-20 on the road, driven carefully. Keep boost under 10 and speed down. If I leadfoot it, more like 8-12, get it over 65mph, it really starts drinking. I would expect the F250 to do 10-20% better, it's lighter and geared higher.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM

john thanks for the reply that was very helpful! i've had a 2000 f150 and now a 6.4 so i've been trying to push him into a ford for a while!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM

If that '07 were as clean as the miles indicate, and the price was right, it might be one heck of a deal. The '06 Dodge is a decent enough truck, but as others have pointed out, the interior/exterior may leave something to be desired. Still, an '06 4x4 Megacab is not such a bad truck to have...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i bought a 2007 f350 6.0 in september.not a mark anywhere,absolutely mint & stock no tuner ever installed.after i already paid cash for the truck i found out injectors had been done as well as head gaskets at less than 45000 km not miles. i love my truck inside & out & dont really care for my wifes 06 dodge but.....my truck will be worthless when the motor blows up, & hers probably wont blowup. ford makes a better truck,dodge is supplied with a better engine.if i could have found a megacab before i bought my f350 im pretty sure i would have been ahead, but my 6.0 goes like hell & i love it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.