oil bypass kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil bypass kit

Alright, I just saw this oil bypass kit mentioned in the coolant filter thread. I didn't want to hijack so I'm asking here. What exactly is the oil bypass kit and why?

Thanks,
Cliff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

An oil bypass kit routes a small amount of oil to a bypass filter which then circulates it back into your engine. The filter I use is an Amsoil which if I'm not mistaken filters the oil down to 2 microns. The bypass kit just aides in keeping your oil cleaner...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

they are great i got one that uses a paper towel roll to filter the junk out, my oil doesnt get black anymore between fill ups, you technically can go farther on an oil change also because it filters the very fine particles. i reccomend one even if your going to continue the regular oil change intervals because it keeps it clean
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Here's a quick pic of mine...

Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Alright, so it's exactly what it sounds like. I know absolutely NOTHING about the function of a diesel engine, but don't they have an oil filter on the block like a gas engine? If you wanted an extra filter, wouldn't it be easier to do a remote setup with two filters?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

The 6.0 has a drop in oil filter. There are kits out there, like Amsoil that have a remote set-up, but my kit still utilizes the factory filter.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Hey ya'll,

Alright, more technical related questions....

I was reading another thread yesterday (that I can't seem to find for some reason) and I thought it sounded like the 6.0L has a bypass in the oiling system that bypasses the filter if there is not enough pressure. Is that correct, and can anyone expand on that?

If there is a bypass, is that where these oil filter bypass kits are installed, or are they added in somewhere else?

If they are added in somewhere else, that means there is still unfiltered oil running around the system, correct?

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know about this. As always, all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDHRSE View Post
Hey ya'll,

I was reading another thread yesterday (that I can't seem to find for some reason) and I thought it sounded like the 6.0L has a bypass in the oiling system that bypasses the filter if there is not enough pressure. Is that correct, and can anyone expand on that?

If there is a bypass, is that where these oil filter bypass kits are installed, or are they added in somewhere else?

If they are added in somewhere else, that means there is still unfiltered oil running around the system, correct?

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know about this. As always, all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff
I remember this thread you speak of. I think it went along the lines of "The motor needs like 18g/m of oil at WOT, if it can't produce it, the full oil filter's bypass valve opens and the engine gets unfiltered oil". In that same thread someone said that even if that's true, a bypass oil filtration system would still filter oil for the engine on a constant basis.

Right. I think I got that all right heh.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanks dude.

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDHRSE View Post
Hey ya'll,

Q. I was reading another thread yesterday (that I can't seem to find for some reason) and I thought it sounded like the 6.0L has a bypass in the oiling system that bypasses the filter if there is not enough pressure. Is that correct, and can anyone expand on that?

A. I'm not certain on that low pressure thing. However, most if not, ALL filters have a bypass, that allows unfiltered oil to go through if the filter becomes clogged. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

Q. If there is a bypass, is that where these oil filter bypass kits are installed, or are they added in somewhere else?

A. Somewhere else...oil filter bypass kits are completely separate. They run in parallel to the regular oil/filter system. A supply line is tapped in somewhere (with the AMSOIL system it takes some oil at the top of the main filter canister). This takes a small amount of oil, and filters it through a finer filter that filters out smaller particles than the main filter. Oil is returned to the system. Eventually all oil runs through this better filter, therefore getting more crud out. (yes, crud is a technical term)

Q. If they are added in somewhere else, that means there is still unfiltered oil running around the system, correct?

A. Not if main filter system is functioning. Oil is still being filtered. The 2 systems filter to a different particle level.

Thanks,
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.