Need Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Advice

Hello all,

I have a 04 6.0l king ranch dually crew cab long box. truck has 115000klm on it and has been really good to me. Im looking for the best possible way to get the most mpg out of it. its a 4x4 with 410 gears in it from factory. I removed the muffler and straight piped it and installed a team green air filter. I do have a bully dog system for it but have not yet installed it. To me the truck really seems to be hard on fuel. I was even considering going to a 3.73 gear ratio to keep the rpm down. What have you guys done to the truck to get good MPG's ie exhaust , intakes, I pulled my car to frankenmuth michigan from toronto canafda my buddy has the identical same truck with the triton v10 his trailer was heavier than mine and he burned 17 dollras more than me ?? im really starting to wonder ??

thanks for all the advice,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitucc View Post
Hello all,

I have a 04 6.0l king ranch dually crew cab long box. truck has 115000klm on it and has been really good to me. Im looking for the best possible way to get the most mpg out of it. its a 4x4 with 410 gears in it from factory. I removed the muffler and straight piped it and installed a team green air filter. I do have a bully dog system for it but have not yet installed it. To me the truck really seems to be hard on fuel. I was even considering going to a 3.73 gear ratio to keep the rpm down. What have you guys done to the truck to get good MPG's ie exhaust , intakes, I pulled my car to frankenmuth michigan from toronto canafda my buddy has the identical same truck with the triton v10 his trailer was heavier than mine and he burned 17 dollras more than me ?? im really starting to wonder ??

thanks for all the advice,
I'll let others chime in on the SCT tuner, but I can tell you this much: I just sold my '99 F250 CC SB 4x4 with the V10, and just picked up my '03 F250 SC 4x4 SB and the difference in MPG is pretty dramatic. I was lucky to get 10 MPG with the V10 (mixed city and freeway driving). My '03 has been about 16MPG so far in the same mix. And that's with a few fun "wooooshes" to feel the turbo. The difference with your truck and your friend's should be much greater.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM

if you dont tow anything to heavy switching to 3.73 gears will help. a exhaust system will actually lower mpg without a tuner, get both at the same time. now for tuning get a sct with custome tunes from Innovative Diesel Performance you will talk to eric and tell him what you want the tunes, towing, playing, economy, ect... the best thing for mpg is to keep rpm under 2000 and boost as low as possible. stay off the skinny pedal on the right
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM

I noticed a increase in mpg's when i installed my exhaust. I get 15 ish but im lifted with 35's .
Old 01-10-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersnyper694788 View Post
I noticed a increase in mpg's when i installed my exhaust. I get 15 ish but im lifted with 35's .

What exhaust is everyone using ?? I hear some people saying the mbrp are good ?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 AM

I have a MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, installed myself. Easy to do, everthing fit perfect and I love it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Driving style makes a big difference - takeoffs are what really hurt. You're getting a lot of weight moving, that takes some juice. Keep it under 10 boost, back off and let it coast if you see a stop up ahead.

My stock 06 dually averages around 15-16 in mixed driving in summer, drops about 1 mpg in winter due to winter fuel. I've seen 20-21 at 55. If I don't pay attention to takeoffs, it drops to about 12.

Also, get it over 65 and it starts gulping the fuel.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with JohnO's post 100% ... I daily drive my dually (04 King Ranch CC LB) and use it to commute from southern PA to central NY weekly (with the snow Syracuse gets I feel safest in this truck to get me home to my family). If I'm care free and drive aggressively, kicking down a gear up the hills, etc. I get maybe 13 mpg. If I'm sensible on starts, coast down the long hills (or at least lift on the throttle), and lug up the hills vs. kicking down I get 18+ mpg. It's tough focusing on all of that for a five hour drive, but it's worth it at $3.15 a gallon. That extra 3-5 mpg adds up across 40 gallons of fuel.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 AM

I have a spare FICM tuned by PowerHungryPerformance for better mpg. I have not tried it yet, but it may help.

Also - I have seen a lot of posts and numbers on air intakes. I am convinced that aftermarket intakes really do not help. I have also read of MANY problems from Bully Dog's tuners. Quite a few less issues w/ SCT's.

I sincerely doubt that any "big" mod will pay out (in less than 5 years anyway) on fuel economy alone - especially re-gearing the differential.

Last edited by bismic; 01-11-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 AM

You seem like a good candidate for one of these.
In a year or so I will volunteer and get one.....
Gear Vendors under/overdrive, Testimonials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.