Reflash or Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reflash or Not

I just bought an 06 F250 Harley Edition a couple of weeks ago. New exhaust (Silverline 4" TB no CAT) and SCT came in yesturday to be installed this weekend. Rest of truck will be stock. According to the SCT the stategy code is VXCF4CG. My question is should I have the PCM refalshed to VXCF9 prior to ordering tunes from IDP or not? What is the difference between the two strategies? I live in NC and until lately we rarely see temps here under 20*, so other than helping with cold starts are there any other advantages of the new flash? Truck is used as a DD with occaisional towing around 6K. Other than a wanting to have a little performance boost, mainly looking to get better MPG's. The current flash seems to do fine, however since this my first diesel I don't really have anything to compare it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 AM
one day at a time

I'm not up on the particulars of the latest flash, but if it were me I'd leave it alone if you're not having any issues now. Just send Eric your current strategy and enjoy your new Xcal.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally, if I were going to order new tunes...I'd want the latest data available.. You're not running off the oem flash anyway, just its enhancement features. The new flash has a lot to offer, and is the only flash within a few years that actually makes any sense. The tune writers are writing to the new VXCF9 strat code.

* Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.

* Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.

* FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.

* Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

* False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.

* Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.

* Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.

* FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.

* Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.

6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr

Whole TSB 9-24-03

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092403A 2004-2010 Econoline, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
one day at a time

I stand corrected... After reading all of that I would in fact get the latest flash if I didn't already have a IDP tuned FICM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

my strategy was vxcf4nk and i am now vxcf9n4 and innovative told me my tunes for the vxcf4nk would still work
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Does anyone who posted here know if this reflash is related to
part# 6U7A-12A650-FFE?? I got a reflash today that I didnt ask for.... (that part numbr is on the invoice but no TSB#) and it sounds like my truck is doing the vane cycling thing but its not once per hr....its once every 45 sec or so... also my trans is super slow engaging from park to any gear now. Does it have to re-learn? i hope so.
Anyone know? So much for my simple axle seal.....This is making me crazy!

Last edited by 07PSDCREW; 11-03-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.