Best EGR "Stealth" By-pass or Delete for Emisssions-Crazy States like CA? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best EGR "Stealth" By-pass or Delete for Emisssions-Crazy States like CA?

I really want to dump my EGR--realizing that it is not possible as I live in Cali and will soon be faced with Diesel emissions testing (never had to in this state before), I am thinking about getting as stealthy a by-pass or delete as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know exactly what the inspection will be like here, but I imagine that the smog station guys won't really kknow what to look for when they pop the hood. The tail pipe sniffer will be something else, of course... TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

I share your pain. I've developed a "wait-and-see" attitude as to how exactly the smog chek will be implemented, and by who. Maybe even go through the process myself once before I try to get sneaky.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm in the same boat! The last thing I need is to fail an emissions test because of something visual.

The other thing is most blocks or sneaky pipes might or might not throw a CEL and the only way to stop it is to run an SCT file. Will having an SCT filed loaded in the vehicle cause it not to pass? So many unanswered questions.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This web page at BAR talks about what they plan to do:
1. Visual inspection;
2. OBD II check;
3. Visible smoke check

Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information

also:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...4-09_Final.pdf
Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkSJ View Post
1. Visual inspection;
2. OBD II check;
3. Visible smoke check

also:
Wow. Is there such a thing as an EGR by-pass that does NOT trigger an OBD/CE warning? We're screwed...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkSJ View Post
1. Visual inspection;
2. OBD II check;
3. Visible smoke check

also:
I'm sure there is going to be some model specific diagram for them to go off of. Since there will be no way for them to check the actual EGR flow, we should be good if it all looks like it is there.

My original plan was to buy a "sneaky pipe" or weld up the oem pipe. Then get an EGR plug to replace the EGR valve. Then just keep the OEM EGR valve plugged in, but zip tied to the side out in the open, hoping this would not throw a CEL.

Now my question has been, if you have only a "sneaky pipe" and the EGR valve still installed and plugged in, will the truck throw a CEL? I have not been able to get an answer on this.

If it won't then when inspection time comes, uninstall the EGR plug and reinstall the EGR valve and you are back to looking stock!

What does everyone think?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbotime View Post
I'm sure there is going to be some model specific diagram for them to go off of. Since there will be no way for them to check the actual EGR flow, we should be good if it all looks like it is there.

My original plan was to buy a "sneaky pipe" or weld up the oem pipe. Then get an EGR plug to replace the EGR valve. Then just keep the OEM EGR valve plugged in, but zip tied to the side out in the open, hoping this would not throw a CEL.

Now my question has been, if you have only a "sneaky pipe" and the EGR valve still installed and plugged in, will the truck throw a CEL? I have not been able to get an answer on this.

If it won't then when inspection time comes, uninstall the EGR plug and reinstall the EGR valve and you are back to looking stock!

What does everyone think?
Ok, and you would also need an OBDII tool to remove the CEL... That's sort of what I was thinking--be sneaky, leave everything looking stock, and crossing my fingers...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM

what does your obdII test consist of? if you wanted to be real sneaky, take your dash cluster out and remove the CEL light bulb. It will still show up on a diagnostic scanner, but not on the dash. Dont know if this will help..... not in CA.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceFifty View Post
what does your obdII test consist of? if you wanted to be real sneaky, take your dash cluster out and remove the CEL light bulb. It will still show up on a diagnostic scanner, but not on the dash. Dont know if this will help..... not in CA.
I think they actually plug something into the OBDII port--not certain, though.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Ok, and you would also need an OBDII tool to remove the CEL... That's sort of what I was thinking--be sneaky, leave everything looking stock, and crossing my fingers...
If just by adding a sneaky pipe while leaving the oem EGR valve in and plugged in does not trigger a CEL then we are all good. Now all I need is an answer to this.

It is easy to R&R the EGR valve. So if no CEL with just a sneaky pipe then reinstall the oem EGR valve and go for inspection. Then when you get home remove the EGR valve, reinstall the EGR plug and load in a SCT tune. Done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.