6.0- is it REALLY that bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0- is it REALLY that bad?

I've heard nothing but bad things about the 6.0. Is this true? I don't think I want one, but I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthebuilder View Post
I've heard nothing but bad things about the 6.0. Is this true? I don't think I want one, but I'm just curious.
The EGR system and head bolts are the weak links. With an EGR delete and head studs they are a good motor. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

No it isn't that bad. There are a few bad trucks out there but most are good. I have no problems wth mine
Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

I don't own a 6.0 but everybody I know that has one loves it, I would not at all be afraid of buying one.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

NO

NUFF SAID
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
The EGR system and head bolts are the weak links. With an EGR delete and head studs they are a good motor. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

So, to replace the head bolts... do you have to take off the head, or just pull the valve cover? I know a guy that has about 60,000 miles on his 05 and he's had 3 turbos put on it. I've also heard head gaskets are weak. Is that caused by the weak headbolts somehow? Any comment?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Fix the weak links and you are MONEY!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthebuilder View Post
So, to replace the head bolts... do you have to take off the head, or just pull the valve cover? I know a guy that has about 60,000 miles on his 05 and he's had 3 turbos put on it. I've also heard head gaskets are weak. Is that caused by the weak headbolts somehow? Any comment?
I probably should have said that the EGR system and head bolts are the weak link mainly when you start turning the power up. I ran mine stock for the 1st year and had a Banks 6 Gun on it after that and ran it for a year on the highest level all the time before I had any problems. The problem with the factory head bolts is that they can stretch and allow the heads to lift off the block which causes the head gasket to blow. Head studs help keep that from happening. As far as the EGR problem, it is the EGR cooler that is the weak link. You can block or delete the EGR to help eliminate that concern. As far as the turbos, it could be bad luck or I would almost bet the guy doesn't run the truck hard very much.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten me a Duramax, or Cummins. The 6.0 has it's rep for a reason. And unfortunately I didn't know about it before I bought the truck. I had always been a Ford guy and always thought Super Duty's looked sick. The weak links are the EGR and head bolts but if you have to pay for the install yourself, out of warranty, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. My high pressure oil pump when out at around 101k, the repair including the pump cost me just over 2 grand. I went ahead and deleted the EGR while everything was apart. At around 116k I had a cracked head and two bad injectors. The repair, 1 new head, rebuilt/inspected other head, two injectors, cost me 5 grand. I went ahead and installed ARP head studs while everything was apart. I am at 134k right now and the fuel pump and fan clutch needed to be replaced not long ago. I keep up with all the maintenance religously, and have never had a programmer. I always think of it like this: Ford = best everything except the engine, Dodge = worst everything except the engine, GM = everything is ok.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6.0 View Post
If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten me a Duramax, or Cummins. The 6.0 has it's rep for a reason. And unfortunately I didn't know about it before I bought the truck. I had always been a Ford guy and always thought Super Duty's looked sick. The weak links are the EGR and head bolts but if you have to pay for the install yourself, out of warranty, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. My high pressure oil pump when out at around 101k, the repair including the pump cost me just over 2 grand. I went ahead and deleted the EGR while everything was apart. At around 116k I had a cracked head and two bad injectors. The repair, 1 new head, rebuilt/inspected other head, two injectors, cost me 5 grand. I went ahead and installed ARP head studs while everything was apart. I am at 134k right now and the fuel pump and fan clutch needed to be replaced not long ago. I keep up with all the maintenance religously, and have never had a programmer. I always think of it like this: Ford = best everything except the engine, Dodge = worst everything except the engine, GM = everything is ok.
Sorry about your bad luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.