Newbie to diesel... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie to diesel...

Got my first one yesterday.... so... is there an intro to diesels thread on here? I got an 06 f350 drw crew lariat full size bed... it is a nice truck. Just wanting to learn what I can about it... thanks ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to cxrxaxz
Well since your new you need to do a lot of reading on the fourms to learn how to properly take care of your new truck. you will learn pretty fast that they are particular with what they like. Use motorcraft oil, fuel, and air filters. After market ones can cause a lot of problems with these trucks. I dont feel like going into detail so just trust me. You need to change your fuel filters every 15k miles and oil every 5k miles. I personally run mobile 1 5w40 synthetic oil. A lot of people on here prefer 5w40 syn oil because it helps with cold starts and makes your truck run smoother. Other thing you should know is if you plan on running a tuner SCT is highly recommend on here with custom tunes because it tunes the transmission therefore is better for your truck then most tuners. Since you have a 6.0 you will find out soon that if you plan on running a tuner it is highly recommended that you get arp or h11 headstuds installed. Some people run sct without studs but its just a matter of time until you pop your headgaskets and get stranded somewhere or mess up your truck. Most people delete the egr as well. if you live in a strict emissions state like cali then this might not be an option.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Had my 06 KR for about two years now. Here's a few things I've learned...

Already mentioned - use only Motorcraft filters. I run Rotella 5w40 synth oil in mine. About a hundred bucks per change, it needs 3.5 gallons. Keep the oil changed for good engine life. The secondary fuel filter is easy to get to, on top of the engine. The primary fuel filter is underneath, and can be sort of messy to change as it's horizontal and you'll spill some fuel getting it out. Another tip for long engine life: in cold weather, let it warm at idle for a few minutes before driving, at least until it goes to fast idle.

You can tune it, but be aware that there's a lot more to it than just plugging in a tuner. Understand what you're getting into and do it right, so you aren't looking at expensive repairs later on. I left mine stock, and have been perfectly happy. Hotrodded the sound system instead.

Watch out for drive thru curbs with the dually, they'll rip up the rear sidewalls. Real easy to do. Why you should be concerned: I just replaced tires with Goodrich AT's. The bill came to $1350 at tire discounters. Ouch. Adds up when you're buying six tires.

The dually doesn't get good traction in snow, if the bed is empty. I put in about a ton of firewood when snow is coming, and that works great.

If you're upgrading the sound system, look at the JL Audio Stealthbox. It's a subwoofer that fits inside the center console, and puts out great sound for it's size. A bit expensive, but worth it, and it puts the sub right beside you, instead of behind the rear seat.

If you hear a scraping sound coming out of the rear axle that sounds like wheel bearings, pull the axle and look before buying replacement parts. (real easy to pull the axle on the dually) I spent $350 on a premium bearing replacement kit, only to find out that the bearings were fine. The scraping sound was corrosion on the emergency brake drum, rubbing on the e brake shoes. Five minutes with a paint scraper and heavy grade steel wool fixed that problem.

Best way to help fuel use is slow takeoffs, keep boost under 10. Get it over 65, and it starts drinking fuel like there's no tomorrow.

You can bully a SUV with this big truck. It's fun.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I read your posts and you sound like you know a bit about transmissions. So here goes. I am new to his forum so bear with me. Here is my problem. Keep in mind I am not a mechanic. I have a 2002 Ford F250 diesel with 7.3 l engine.

Recently, my batteries went bad so I replaced them. I also replace the fuel filter. The truck runs rough until it is warm then it runs smoother. The real problem is this. All of a sudden the truck will not move, when on a slight grade, when I put it into drive. When I press the fuel pedal, the engine seems like it looses power, and rpm's are very low, like it is lugged down. When I put it into park, the engine seems to have power because the rpm's rise to just below the red line mark. Also, the overdrive light on the shift lever blinks. I read on this forum somewhere that this might be a computer problem. Someone told me to disconnect the batteries and it would reset computer.

I did this this morning, and the truck seemed to run better, and the overdrive light stopped blinking. Still no movement. Remember turck in on slight grade. I next want to check the trasmission fluid; but, because of grade, truck not level, this is not an option.

So, I'm setting in the truck, completely miffed, with it in drive with accelerator depressed. Truck seems like it wants to move, but nothing. Then all of a sudden the truck starts to move slowly, but it moves. I manage to get it to a level spot so I can check the transmission fluid. I check the fluid while engine is on, and the level is good. Also, the fluid is bright red, which I have been informed on this site that it means the transmission is propbably ok.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM

But if you have it in drive and its not moving its not ok, you probably need a transmission. How does the oil smell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.