Glow plugs and harness............ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plugs and harness............

That is a bad design of a harness if I ever saw one! Wow. Truck didnt want to start this morning. Temps close to 15*, wind chill near 0*. Truck was not so hard to start in the cold before I did my studs. So I had to sit back and think about what I did to cause the cold start issue.

My block heater was plugged in. It will stumble when cranking, and spew a little black smoke. Got fuel. Hmmmm. I left the glow plugs in during the entire stud process. Making sure to have blocks of wood to set the heads on when setting them down.

Thinking about how glow plugs work- center pin that wire harness plugs onto is fed 12V+. The housing, which threads into the block, is your 12V-. If I had set the heads down (all 120+lbs), and set them down on a glow plug, I could have bent the business end of a plug. Which when looked at on a bench test, allows very little clearance between the center heating pin, and the threaded housing (which extends downward with a sleeve).

I picked up 8 glow plugs from Napa. And decided to change the driver side out before it got dark. Back three plugs, piece of cake. The forward most plug was a b!tch!. The harness was frozen into the head. Trying to pull it out by the wire only resulted in ripping the wiring in half. Grabbing it with pliers- yeah right. The housing just broke off in pieces. I drilled a hole into the plastic, and put a #14 stainless tapping screw into it, and yanked it out with pliers. The plastic housing of the harness was caked with aluminum corrosion where is meets the head. Sweet. Saturday afternoon, Ford parts are closed till monday.

I installed the four plugs, cleaned the heads off where the harness plugs in. And now I wait until monday when the parts dept is open.

I bench tested the plugs I pulled out in the garage. 3 out of 4 tested NG. They went from 6 ohms, to .4 ohms, to OL, to 23k ohms. They were all over the board. The readings wouldnt stay consistent to get a solid number. I checked the 4 I have for the passenger side to see what they should be. All our tested out from 1.2-1.6ohms. Steady readings.

I would say I found my problem. Tomorrow (if its above the -10* forecast) I will pull the passenger side wheel and well and do the other side. Ill have to wait till monday and hope one of the four dealers within 25 miles has a harness in stock.

Thanks to the write up in the tech section!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to 01F35082AI
2001 F350 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo diesel super duty 4X4
I replaced belt,batteries,alternator and truck clicks a few times and stops won't turn over but batteries read good(hand held volt meter) the battery light stays on even when I do get it to start. Any help would be wonderful.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM

PM sent. Just tryin to do my part and keep the thread on track ;-)
Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How do u test the glow plugs
Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Ohm meter (resistance test) between the threaded area, and the tip where the wires clip on.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just touch the two ends togeather that's it and what arebthey supposed to read
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Check the tech files section for 6.0L. Detailed write up. Very simple test if you know how to use a digital multi meter.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm302 View Post
How do u test the glow plugs
Easiest way to test them is to unplug the harness on top of the motor, hook up a test light to the positive battery terminal, and then just probe each of the wires in the harness, if the test light lights up, the plug is good.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Blue-

If you unplug the glow plug harness from the main engine harness, and probe the wires where the harness plugs in, with your test light on the + battery post, you wont get anything. The glow plug harness supplies battery +, not battery -.

If you want to check the harness, you would unplug each glow plug from the harness and test for battery + there (test light hooked up to battery -). Or you can unplug the glow plug harness from the engine main harness, and test the same way, at the pins on the engine harness side.

The way you stated to test the glow plugs isolates the glow plugs from the system when you unplug the harness. The center pin on the glow plugs receives battery positive when the key is cycled on. The housing (threaded area) of the glow plug is grounded (battery negative).

Last edited by cRaZy8; 01-03-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Additional text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.