Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR bypass or EGR Delete?

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  rpm_carriers 
#1 ·
My warranty is up soon and I figured I should be looking to get rid of the EGR system on my 06. Since I'm in California and will have to be visiting the smog man soon, which is the best option to go with? I will need it to look stock. I don't mind doing a mod that I can change back in an hour or two, but a complete R&R kit will be to much.

Can I get one of these Ford 6.0 Diesel EGR Eliminator - Spool W/clamps - bolts:eBay Motors (item 280354215158 end time Dec-31-09 06:32:49 PST)

and just leave me EGR valve plugged in and zip tied off to the side or until I get an SCT? And use this in conjuction with an sneaky pipe?

Which kit or option is going to be the best for my situation. I have searched, but not to much about doing this for a California vehicle. I hope I'm not breaking any rules like on another site. :doh:

#2 · (Edited)
Well the sct you can just go back to stock so thats all good. The cat you can just pop on and off. The egr system you need to have all of it on.

I think the best thing to do is to weld a plug in the egr cooler and i got the flange on the up pipe so I will cut that off. That would be better than doing a plug at the egr valve. If you do the valve then the exhaust will still hit the cooler, thats not good. They can just look and see the valve and that would be a fail. The sneeky pipe is good also, just more $. Im in cal too so I just got the sct and will eventualy be pluging the cooler and cutting the flang.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. If I did a sneaky pipe and EGR Plug would that stop the gases from entering the cooler? or is welding up the cooler the only way to stop them from entering? I guess I should do some more research on the flow of the the EGR system.

I would take the EGR plug out and reinstall the EGR valve when I have to go to smog, that is easy to do. I am looking for the easiest and cheapest way to stop EGR gases and still look stock or close to stock.

#4 · (Edited)
Well the exhaust flow is, 2 exhaust manifolds- 2 up pipes-Y pipe-turbo-tail pipe. One of the "up pipes" vents to the cooler, then to the egr valve, then intake.

If you only block the valve, the exhaust will swim arround the cooler, sill puting in heat. if you block the the cooler then the entire system is saved from the exhaust.

Some later models have a scoop on the up pipe that forces exh into the egr system. It covers half the pipe. Its a good idea to cut that.

It is easy and cheep to cut out a metal plate in a circle and weld it on for less than the valve block or sneeky pipe. If you dont have the suplies then get a friend.

^^^^ this is if you dont buy the sneeky pipe.

Its good to get the valve block, but if you are going to decide on only one modificatoin then^^ this is better. If you dont want to do any of the above then get the valve. Some thing is better than nothing.

Here is another option.

Since the egr system and intake are connected, the egr valve block will hold the intake pressure in the intake and the welded cooler will keep the exhaust where it should be. That would be a great set up.

Here is a picture of the scoop at the bottom of the page.

6.0L EGR Components

These 2 links show the flow.
http://www.dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

#5 ·
Well the exhaust flow is, 2 exhaust manifolds- 2 up pipes-Y pipe-turbo-tail pipe. One of the "up pipes" vents to the cooler, then to the egr valve, then intake.

If you only block the valve, the exhaust will swim arround the cooler, sill puting in heat. if you block the the cooler then the entire system is saved from the exhaust.

Some later models have a scoop on the up pipe that forces exh into the egr system. It covers half the pipe. Its a good idea to cut that.

It is easy and cheep to cut out a metal plate in a circle and weld it on for less than the valve block or sneeky pipe. If you dont have the suplies then get a friend.

^^^^ this is if you dont buy the sneeky pipe.

Its good to get the valve block, but if you are going to decide on only one modificatoin then^^ this is better. If you dont want to do any of the above then get the valve. Some thing is better than nothing.

Here is another option.

Since the egr system and intake are connected, the egr valve block will hold the intake pressure in the intake and the welded cooler will keep the exhaust where it should be. That would be a great set up.

Here is a picture of the scoop at the bottom of the page.

6.0L EGR Components

These 2 links show the flow.
6.0L Bible Table of Contents
Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like removing the up pipe that goes to the cooler and welding that up is the way to go. Along with a EGR block. That would stop all exhaust flow through the system correct?

Now from my understand this may or may not throw a CEL. Could I remove the OEM EGR, but keep in plugged in and zip tied to the side and would that not cause a CEL to come up? Are there other sensors in the cooler that detect EGT's? It wouldn't be good if welding up the pipe to the cooler threw and CEL because that would cause a problem when visiting the smog ref!

Hmmmm...

#6 ·
If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. Delete the whole thing. Doug at GoGo Diesel makes a great kit, so does Adam (Abrannan19) on here. I'd contact either of them about options.

#7 ·
I would love to remove it all at once, but I have to or will have to pass a visual inspection in the coming year. I don't want to have to remove it then reinstall it just to pass a visual inspection. From what I understand it can take up to 8 hours to do the procedure and that is to much work.

Any other sneaky ways to do this? I don't mind installing a few things to get back to stock, but no an entire system.

#13 ·
CEL light

subscribed...

Keep us updated on the CEL. As I too am looking for a solution with my 04

#18 ·
I did a RCD EGR valve and cooler delete on my 2004 F-350 and got a CEL.Just plugging in the EGR valve didnt get rid of the code.I was told 03 and 04 would not throw a code.My truck was made in late 04 so maybe it has the 05 programing.A SCT and custom tunes thru Innovative and I'm good to go.Where I live I have no emisions to go thru. If I did I think I would have went with the aftermarket EGR cooler and "unhooked" the EGR valve with the custom tunes.Then all you have to do to pass emisions is reload the stock tunes.I am toying with getting a coolant filter as I keep hearing that the crud in the cooling system plugs the EGR and oil cooler causing problems.

#19 ·
subscribed.....

I live in Cali too so im curious what happens with this....any updates to your decision?

#20 ·
I did an EGR cooler delete using the Sinister Diesel kit. I don't have a tuner yet, so I left the EGR valve installed in the manifold and the connector plugged in to prevent CEL. I've been running it for about 6 weeks now and have not had a CEL yet.

Since I have no exhaust flowing to the EGR valve, is there any disadvantage to leaving it in place? Will removing it and installing the block-off plate get me anything (assuming I defeat the CEL with a tuner)?

#21 ·
My EGR is welded shut on both intake and exhaust side. EGR Valve is in place and plugged in. There is no CEL. I should note that the Truck is an 04 and motor an 05. Yes I am on my second motor, but still using the 04 PCM.

As for as to remove the EGR valve or not after welding the cooler shut, you wouldn't see any benefits. The PCM recognizes the P0401 DTC but does not change the fueling strategy or cause any other negative effects. I'm only speaking from experience not the science of the 6.0.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.