Coolant Filter Installed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filter Installed

Ok... so I paid out the 3G last month to fix my EGR cooler/oil cooler problem, and installed a coolant filter yesterday. Is this a sure fix? Has anyone experienced an EGR failure with this filter kit on? Just looking for assurance that this is a solid solution.

Thanks,
nate

Last edited by FordOD; 12-29-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 PM

wow 3 grand why didnt you just do a egr complete delete that is a sure fix cost alot less moola too
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04strokin6.0 View Post
wow 3 grand why didnt you just do a egr complete delete that is a sure fix cost alot less moola too
Because some people live in CA and unfortunately in 2 days they will officially begin emissions testing diesel in CA. So until someone figures out if an EGR delete or block off will cause a failure based on emissions testing(not visual inspection as they can not really see it), it's not worth the time or money to do a delete or block off.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordstang93 View Post
Because some people live in CA and unfortunately in 2 days they will officially begin emissions testing diesel in CA. So until someone figures out if an EGR delete or block off will cause a failure based on emissions testing(not visual inspection as they can not really see it), it's not worth the time or money to do a delete or block off.
They Already do it in mass.... I passed the opacity test straight piped, the truck blew a "0" out of a possible 20. The technician also mentioned that he's seen tuned trucks pass. An SCT with an EGR Delete stock tune would pass with flying colors. EGR is really only needed during cold startups, and even that is debatable.

just my $0.02
Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via Yahoo to kimber_da
I know it's off topis, but:

Just food for thought here, but what if someone from another state came into CA just to get a smog test WITH the delete kit on. Kind of a "feeler" to see what it would blow. Maybe this would give everyone else some sort of baseline as to what you could get away with. Will they test you if your a non resident? And can they do anything about it if you do fail seeing as how your from another state?

Congrat's on your filter install. I would definitly think it would help.

Last edited by kimber_da; 12-29-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nice

good to know. I started a thread a little bit ago trying to get info on EGR delete/block off with emissions testing....didn't really get anywhere.

Do you know what tests were performed besides the opacity test.?

Last edited by fordstang93; 12-29-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordstang93 View Post
good to know. I started a thread a little bit ago trying to get info on EGR delete/block off with emissions testing....didn't really get anywhere.

Do you know what tests were performed besides the opacity test.?
From looking at the CA BAR website, they will be performing 3 tests:

1) Visual - checking for all emissions related equipment equipped from the factory, which they include the turbo, EGR valve, EGR cooler, CAC, Cat, DPF, aftermarket tuners, Mass Air Flow Sensor, etc. Any missing or modified equipment will equal a failure.

2) OBD II - They will plug into the vehicles OBD port and check for any active DTCs that are emissions related. Any emissions related DTCs will equal a failure.

3) Snap Test - snap throttle from idle to between 2K and 3K rpm 3 times. On 2nd and 3rd time no visible smoke must linger after 3 seconds. If smoke lingers for more than 3 seconds on tries 2 OR 3, the vehicle fails.

More information avaliable here: Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what kit did you go with?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What a stupid state.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
From looking at the CA BAR website, they will be performing 3 tests:

1) Visual - checking for all emissions related equipment equipped from the factory, which they include the turbo, EGR valve, EGR cooler, CAC, Cat, DPF, aftermarket tuners, Mass Air Flow Sensor, etc. Any missing or modified equipment will equal a failure.

2) OBD II - They will plug into the vehicles OBD port and check for any active DTCs that are emissions related. Any emissions related DTCs will equal a failure.

3) Snap Test - snap throttle from idle to between 2K and 3K rpm 3 times. On 2nd and 3rd time no visible smoke must linger after 3 seconds. If smoke lingers for more than 3 seconds on tries 2 OR 3, the vehicle fails.

More information avaliable here: Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information
This is essentially the test I went through in MA, but he didn't probe the OBDII port. In Massachusetts, I think that the OBDII test starts on 08' and newer trucks. The Opacity test I was talking about is referenced above as the "snap test".

I'm not sure how the inspection process works in California, but in MA there are 2 types of inspection stations (Commercial, and non-Commercial), some stations can inspect both. I would try to find a gas station that inspects both, as they're not 100% familiar with diesels... but an EGR delete will be verrryy hard to pick up on these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.