SCT recommendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT recommendations

First post here as I (like many others) have just been hanging around absorbing all the great information floating around here. I had a 2002 7.3 for 4.5 yrs that I sold when the economy and fuel prices went to he11 in a handbasket. Well I missed having the room, comfort, and power to much and recently aquired a 2005 ccswb Fx4 lariat with the 6.0 and only 36xxx miles from the original owners spouse. Unfortunately he was killed this past summer in a motorcycle accident and she couldnt keep it and really didnt need it. Well after much research and reading sites such as this Ive decided to ditch the Superchips programmer that came with the truck and go with an SCT. The old fella that had the truck before me definately didnt hurt her and only ran the tow/haul mode on itwith the SC. Ive since took off the SC altogethor and am currently running it at stock. The OASIS on the truck was good and all service was done at the local dealer so I even got that on record. Now to my question. I am pretty familiar with the 6.0 and have heard all the horror stories as well as cinderella stories too. I want the truck to last and be reliable but run well also. I have removed the kat and still have the factory exhaust since its a daily driver and I dont want it being to overly loud. I talked with Ken today at Innovative Diesel and he was most helpful. What I want is what kinda tune would you guys reccomend for me that is effecient yet powerful. Im thinking of getting a CAI also just to help it breath a little better. Will the stock exhaust with kat MIA suffice? Sound would be nice, but with two young kids and it being a daily driver I want it to be practical too. Also would like to do an EGR delete and head bolts but just cant swing that right now. So with all this in mind what would you all advise on tune, intake and exhaust. Again dont want nothing crazy, just nice power, economy and driveability without worrying about blowing HG or damaging anything. Any other questions please just ask and thanks in advance for any advice/info! Also, I do occasionally tow a compact tractor that the total weight with tractor, trailer and everything would be around 6500#.

Sorry for long post and rambling. Im just trying to paint a clear picture for you guys!

Last edited by Greene 728; 12-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

If you can keep your foot off the skinny pedal, you will see more MPG's on the "hotter tunes".
I never personally tried Innovatives tunes, but I have never heard anything but good things about them.
They could definitely get you set up with some nice tunes

I wouldnt waste your money on a CAI, the stocker flows plenty of air. Use that money and purchase a nice set of gauges
Check with Raul@Stealth-Automotive, he can get you set up with a package deal and you would probably save some money.

As far as HG and EGR cooler issues go, its kinda a crapshoot. Some people blow their HG's while stock, some trucks dont go even when tuned.
When you tune it, the chances of having issues will increase
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
As long as you can keep your foot out of the motor then definitely try Eric at Innovative Diesel. I run his Xtreme Street as a DD.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i run erics extreme tunes on my factory head bolts. the stock air intake is the best flowing and filtering up to 500+ hp.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Yeah...what they said. I would also can that oversized trash can muffler for a freer flowing muffler.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. Im about as confused as a baby in a topless bar. Some say the stock air filter is fine, while others say go with the CAI. Same goes for the exhaust. I guess ill just have to gather all this info in and do what makes me happy I reckon. I just want a truck thats fun to drive, economical, reliable and peppy all rolled into one. One could make himself go nuts trying to decide what to do with all the information and personal experiences floating around out there! Let me ask yall this....Is the Superchips Ok to run on it as long as its on the economy or tow/haul tune with my current set up? I know its not an SCT and never will be. But as I stated, im not looking for anything insane, just better fuel milage, driveability and something thats not going to cause any undue damage. Please fire at will with any info. Good or bad.

Last edited by Greene 728; 12-29-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Please don't use a supersh**s.. if you're going to spend money get the good stuff... SCT is THE only way to go..
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM

As others have stated, the factory airbox will flow enough air to keep you happy. I switched to an AirRaid and haven't seen a noticable difference, other than its much easier to clean my filter. If you're going to invest in anything, invest in a turbo back exhaust. This will help keep your EGT's down, especially when towing.

A custom tuned SCT is the way to go for a power adder. I've tried almost every SCT vendor out there and think Direct Injection Performance has some of the strongest tunes. Regardless, if the vendor you chose is a good one, they can write you a program for your modifications (or lack of) and needs/wishes/desires.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
As others have stated, the factory airbox will flow enough air to keep you happy. I switched to an AirRaid and haven't seen a noticable difference, other than its much easier to clean my filter. If you're going to invest in anything, invest in a turbo back exhaust. This will help keep your EGT's down, especially when towing.

A custom tuned SCT is the way to go for a power adder. I've tried almost every SCT vendor out there and think Direct Injection Performance has some of the strongest tunes. Regardless, if the vendor you chose is a good one, they can write you a program for your modifications (or lack of) and needs/wishes/desires.
I'm about to get another custom tune. I had Jody's performance and am about to get Innovative. So you truly think that Direct Injections is the best? Have you had Innovatives tune yet?
Just wondering b4 I commit.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.