Newbe need HELP with 6.0 Mods for Towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbe need HELP with 6.0 Mods for Towing

Hello all I am new to PSD and the board I have an 06 f250 and it's bone stock I tow a 5th wheel when loaded weighs in at about 15k, so I am pushing the high end of what ford recommends for my truck. I would like to know what the collective knowledge of this site recommends for mods. I have looked at the banks stuff and it's spendy but the few guys I know who have it swear by it.
I don't have a ton of cash but I can probably swing a couple of grand so in my long ramble I am asking the following:
Is the Banks Power Pack System worth the cash?
If the Banks is not what it advertises then what are the alternatives?
Should I look into gearing down from 3.73 to 4.30 (truck is also my daily driver, 50 miles a day all highway)
Also is there a decent diesel shop in Virginia Beach or relativity close?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Welcome to the ORG !!!

EGR delete and custom tunes. SCT or Spartan. I'm sure someone will chime in and give you lots of great NFO. No need to gear down IMO.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Gauges, SCT with Custom Tunes from Eric at Innovative, ZooDad, Studs and EGR Delete.

EDIT: If you can afford studs and an EGR delete, get some custom tow tunes, but otherwise, it's recommended to tow with a stock tune.

Last edited by SickStroke6.0; 12-28-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Chapter Director

as stated above sct with custom tow tunes (ask for turbo brake) egr delete open up the exhaust and intake to help keep egts down and a set of gauges to watch everything. as far as shops go give twisted diesel a call they are out that way somewhere they moved since last time ive been there. good guys.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Is there a way to tell if I already have studs, or any other mods it looks stock but what do I know.... sorry should have posted this originally. BTW PSD Twisted has moved out to Chesapeake...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Here's what an ARP stud looks like on the truck. The view is from standing by the drivers side fender, looking at the front of the head.

Last edited by SickStroke6.0; 12-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mac I looked and no such luck on the studs already being installed thanks for the pix
Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Went to the diesel shop and this is the list and prices they gave me:
SCT programer
MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust
AFE stage 2 intake
Package for 2k installed
Gauges (trans, boost, EGT) $682
EGR delete $600
Add-a-leaf $210
TOTAL $3,492 installed Do the prices sounds right? I am going to to some research on the brands, but I would also like to hear any personal experiences with them thanks in advance again...
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM

you should talk to some of the vendors on this site, if you can do the work yourself you will save a lot of money. For a 6.0 and intake is a waste of money for what your gonna do. Just do the exhaust, gauges, sct w/ custom tunes. If you can do an egr delete yourself then do that at the same time, RCD sells their delete kit on ebay for 300 bucks. I think you should be able to get exhaust, gauges, and custom tunes for 1000 bucks. Good luck
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM

I just installed a 4" Magnaflow turbo back, stainless, no cat (with option to reinstall), single muffler. $399 shipped from River City Diesel. Fitment is A+. Only took 2 hrs to take off old, install new. You will need a sawzall to take off the old one. And you only need two wrenches/sockets.

I also just ordered from Summit Racing- 3 gauge pillar pod, with EGT, boost, and coolant temp, $315 shipped.

I used Elite Diesel for my EGR delete kit (not as nice as others). $250 shipped. In combination with the new exhaust, I find my turbo spooling much faster. Not too mention my intake wont get all gunked up any more. That EGR makes a mess of your intake.

If you cant afford the studs (probably upwards of $3k with parts and labor), at least do an EGR delete, gauges and exhaust. I feel that with an EGR delete, these engines become much more reliable. If you can do the work yourself, you will save a lot of money. I saved close to $4k in labor by doing studs, EGR delete, exhaust etc on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.