Newbie! with a '04 KR CC LB FX4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie! with a '04 KR CC LB FX4

Hello all! What an awesome crowd!
I'm new to diesel, and new to this forum
I have a few questions if ya'll dont mind...

1. Does my new (used, lol) truck have the 5 speed TorqueShift trans? Or the older 4 spd?

2. What rear gear does it have? 3.73 or 4.10 and does it have limited slip?

3. I have a 100k mile warranty, so I dont want to mess with anything that could affect that, so where do I start with mods to get a little more take off power, better deeper exhaust sound (any chance getting it to sound like a 7.3?), and of coarse how about a few extra mpg around town because I do a lot of city driving.

I think I'm sold on doing the '05 front end conversion (bumper and grille, etc), 4" lift, some 18"s with all terrains, and of coarse a better sound system. What do you think? Good start? I dont want to go too big with lift because I'd still like to easily tow a ski boat and/or some other small toys. Basically, it still needs to be practical

Thank you all in advance
I'm excited about joinging the club. Love my diesel!
jberylec is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post
Hello all! What an awesome crowd!
I'm new to diesel, and new to this forum
I have a few questions if ya'll dont mind...

1. Does my new (used, lol) truck have the 5 speed TorqueShift trans? Or the older 4 spd?

2. What rear gear does it have? 3.73 or 4.10 and does it have limited slip?

3. I have a 100k mile warranty, so I dont want to mess with anything that could affect that, so where do I start with mods to get a little more take off power, better deeper exhaust sound (any chance getting it to sound like a 7.3?), and of coarse how about a few extra mpg around town because I do a lot of city driving.

I think I'm sold on doing the '05 front end conversion (bumper and grille, etc), 4" lift, some 18"s with all terrains, and of coarse a better sound system. What do you think? Good start? I dont want to go too big with lift because I'd still like to easily tow a ski boat and/or some other small toys. Basically, it still needs to be practical

Thank you all in advance
I'm excited about joinging the club. Love my diesel!

1. 5speed
2. 3.73 dont know about limited slip, would assume on a $40,000 truck. lol
3. depending how picky your dealer is, if you do any aftermarket modifications to motor, exhaust, intake, chip..etc they can void your warranty. Any aftermarket exhaust will give you a good sound but you have a 6.0L therefore it won't sound like a 7.3L. Talk to your dealer and whoever is in charge of warranty there and see what they agree with. what that dealer agrees with might be different then the one down the road.

on the lift you can do a hanger/shackle kit if you want to keep stock springs and steering geometry. hope this helps.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post

1. 5speed
2. 3.73 dont know about limited slip, would assume on a $40,000 truck. lol
3. depending how picky your dealer is, if you do any aftermarket modifications to motor, exhaust, intake, chip..etc they can void your warranty. Any aftermarket exhaust will give you a good sound but you have a 6.0L therefore it won't sound like a 7.3L. Talk to your dealer and whoever is in charge of warranty there and see what they agree with. what that dealer agrees with might be different then the one down the road.

on the lift you can do a hanger/shackle kit if you want to keep stock springs and steering geometry. hope this helps.
Thanks! Nice truck! Your lift looks just about the size I was looking for. Is that 4"? What brand? How's the ride?

And by the sound of a 7.3 I meant the differences in the mufflers out there... which ones will give me that deep throaty sound (as close to 7.3 sound as possible). Or is straight pipe the best bet? Will it still be deep and throaty like a banks muffler, etc..

TIA
jberylec is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post
Thanks! Nice truck! Your lift looks just about the size I was looking for. Is that 4"? What brand? How's the ride?

And by the sound of a 7.3 I meant the differences in the mufflers out there... which ones will give me that deep throaty sound (as close to 7.3 sound as possible). Or is straight pipe the best bet? Will it still be deep and throaty like a banks muffler, etc..

TIA
It's a 4.5" Donahoe Racing hanger kit. It rides about 50% better then stock. To get the "throatiest" lol sound I would suggest a complete turbo back kit with aftermarket muffler and stock cat in place, that should drown out any turbo whistle you would generally hear from an 04 turbo and give it more of a "flowmaster" type sound. A turbo back will lower EGT's around 100 degrees I would guess. good luck.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
It's a 4.5" Donahoe Racing hanger kit. It rides about 50% better then stock. To get the "throatiest" lol sound I would suggest a complete turbo back kit with aftermarket muffler and stock cat in place, that should drown out any turbo whistle you would generally hear from an 04 turbo and give it more of a "flowmaster" type sound. A turbo back will lower EGT's around 100 degrees I would guess. good luck.
Ok so yours is just the shackles? You kept the stock springs? That sounds cheap, and nice smooth ride

And for the exhaust, I dont wanna lose the whistle! I loooove that I dont want the flowmaster sound either. Dang what am I trying to say? LOL
I'll probably just got with 4" or 5" cat-back with no muffler. That should do it. I wish there were sound files somewhere Back in my Mustang days I could find sound samples, videos, etc on just about anything before buying
jberylec is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
im fat and ugly


 
stump0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 15,689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2004 Excursion
stump0331 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post
Ok so yours is just the shackles? You kept the stock springs? That sounds cheap, and nice smooth ride

And for the exhaust, I dont wanna lose the whistle! I loooove that I dont want the flowmaster sound either. Dang what am I trying to say? LOL
I'll probably just got with 4" or 5" cat-back with no muffler. That should do it. I wish there were sound files somewhere Back in my Mustang days I could find sound samples, videos, etc on just about anything before buying
yea it's a 4.5" shackle/hanger kit in the front with new bilstein shocks. It was $800ish for the lift kit and shocks. stock springs in front and rear until this friday Im gonna put a F350 block in the rear to lift it up cuz there is too much rake. If you do a shackle/hanger kit the brand of the kit doens't really matter it comes down to what shocks you use. good luck. I posted this video on another thread and I dont know if you have stock exhaust but if you did a 4" turbo back with no muffler or cat this is what it would sound like. video on Automotive excuse all the mumbo jumbo my dad is a funny guy. lol

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow your turbo is extreemly loud! I like it I've read that the '04 used a different quieter turbo than '03, true?

Anyhow, what did the lift and 35" tires do to your mileage? For me, I think it would help because with the city driving I do it's hard to stay in the right gear, maybe the taller tires will help, resulting in lower RPMS... I dunno

That's a bada$$ truck man, I like it
jberylec is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post
Wow your turbo is extreemly loud! I like it I've read that the '04 used a different quieter turbo than '03, true?

Anyhow, what did the lift and 35" tires do to your mileage? For me, I think it would help because with the city driving I do it's hard to stay in the right gear, maybe the taller tires will help, resulting in lower RPMS... I dunno

That's a bada$$ truck man, I like it
thats what i've heard as well. not 100% sure though. My mileage isn't too much worse, probably around 16-18ish. I haven't run a whole tank through it yet of all highway or city so im not too sure. the overhead computer says 15.2. The bigger tires with stock gearing did result in lower rpms, at 70mph im around 1800 and 700 degrees. hope this all helps.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Raul@Stealth Automotive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,359
Thanks: 23
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post
Wow your turbo is extreemly loud! I like it I've read that the '04 used a different quieter turbo than '03, true?

Anyhow, what did the lift and 35" tires do to your mileage? For me, I think it would help because with the city driving I do it's hard to stay in the right gear, maybe the taller tires will help, resulting in lower RPMS... I dunno

That's a bada$$ truck man, I like it
well after i put the 35" tires on mine i saw a small decrease in milege but after i installed the exhaust and intake i got more back... currently getting around 16mpg city driving.... just fyi but im running a special on some procomp or fabtech lifts right now... let me know if your interested....

-Raul
Raul@Stealth Automotive is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome