Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wreck = Makeover (Before and After Pics)

4K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  jluv 
#1 ·
Howdy! If this is the wrong forum to post this, please forgive me. Maybe a mod can move it, if necessary. I really just wanted to show off some pics of the truck to folks that share a similar interest.

Here's what it looked like until recently:

Back in January, the old lady was driving and we hit some ice on a mountain pass here in CO, slid into a snow bank, and rolled it over onto the passenger side. Luckily no one was hurt. Here's a couple shots of that:

So, I figured this was a good time to start making some changes I'd been thinking about for a while. My truck is mainly a trail rig, so I wanted bumpers and a winch. I knew putting black bumpers on would add another color to my theme, and I didn't want to do that. I considered paint-matching them either white or tan, but I figured black and white would be a better look. I decided to get rid of the tan two-tone and also every bit of chrome. So, I started ordering stuff, and it got out of hand in a hurry! Fab Fours bumpers, Bushwacker cutout flares, Line-X on that stuff and also on the rockers to cover up the tan, Warn 16.5ti winch, new grille, 20x12 Ultra wheels, 40x15.5 Toyos, Powerstop brakes, PSC steering box and ram assist, and black emblems and decals all the way around. I went with smoked headlights just to get rid of the last bit of chrome, but they killed the brightness, so I'm going to switch those out to the stockers until I come up with a better solution. I left the hand-painted red and tan pinstripe, and figured since the tail lights are red, too, I could keep that as a subtle accent color, so I chose the red calipers when I ordered my brakes, and went with red shackles on the bumpers. The wheels even have a touch of red on the center caps, so I think it all ties in decently.

Anyway, here are some recent pics:

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you think!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Could have been worse, for sure. Ended up needing a fender, bedside, both doors, a windshield, mirror, and I had to replace the bed cover.

Once we got it put back on all fours, I drove it another 700 miles to Texas, around there for two weeks, and then back to CO. Other than having to crawl over the console to get to the passenger side, it was no big deal.

Reactions: djmaguire
#4 ·
I Love the plate that's too funny..

Nice truck BTW.

But I agree with doubleslot man that was no wreck. That said it looks awesome.

#5 ·
Thanks! Insurance ended up paying $14k to fix it. I figure if it were much worse at all they might have totalled it.

#6 ·
What kind of lift did you put on your truck. I like the radius arm upgrade. I am not a all black fan at all, but I must admit that I like your truck. Very well put together a very clean looking truck there. I'm impressed.....

#7 ·
Thanks again. It's essentially a Pure Performance 6" Chase Series Stage 2 kit. I bought it and pieced it together before they had that package, but it's the same exact parts. I added 2" blocks to the 6" lift leaf springs in the rear to make it 8" in the back to give me a slight rake. 4-link conversion in the front.

#8 ·
I like what you did with the truck and think it looks great!

Where in CO are you?

#9 ·
Thank you! I'm in a remote mountain town called Lake City.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Thanks! I've considered those until I can have some retrofit projectors made. Would love to not have any chrome on the truck at all.

#19 ·
Here are a few pics of the stereo system. It's not really new. There are two JL 12w7s hiding in that console box.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#22 ·
Nice stereo system there, I love the ZR-650-CSI drivers. Those are some of the best speakers made there. One thing that will help sound quality is to get those passive crossovers out of the system all together. If you are running a active system by use of a sound processor or electronic crossover the sound will sharpen up a lot getting those out of the system.
Passive crossovers EAT POWER and they are slow processing so the signal gets garbled up which creates distortion. Looks like a active system to me with all the separate amplifiers. Your truck is getting better all the time. :)

Reactions: Beerbait
#23 ·
Are those also a set of ZR800 Mid Bass in the kick panels ?

The ZR line is a unreal SQ driver. Will amaze you how much the sound quality jumps with those speakers. Accuracy and just a beautiful sound when the power is clean and at proper power levels. They can sound like a home system and that's no joke. I had them in my last truck, the one that's all wrinkled up there and that system sounded beautiful. I still have a brand new set of ZR-650 in the box for another day :)

#24 · (Edited)
The are the ZR crossovers, but they are just being used for the C3s that I have in the stock rear location, which aren't really a noticeable part of the system unless I have rear passengers (I can change tuning programs for the H701 on the fly from the head unit, turn speakers on or off, or even do 5.1 for movies). I do run the ZR650s active in the kicks along with the ZR800s in the door pods. Good eye! I run the Alpine head via optical cable to an old Alpine H701 digital processor, so all the front drivers have their own channel. It's got hours of RTA tuning, an absurd amount of sound-deadening, and a pretty big electrical system. When it's working, it's great, But the H701 has been acting up. I'll have to upgrade that and the head unit soon.

#26 ·
Man its looking better all the time. I'm the same way I have been into sound systems at the age where I learned there was such a thing. Went to my first rock concert at age 12 to see Ted Nugent. I still cant believe my parents let me go, guess maybe they didn't listen to exactly what I said.

I had a all Nakamichi stereo system in my first 4X4 truck in 1983 and the stereo was $300 less then I paid for the truck. I still have every receipt and all that paperwork today. I paid $3,600 for the truck and almost $3,300 into the stereo system. What's really funny was I was making $3.13 per hour and it took a while to fill up the cookie jars for that endeavor. I'm dragging my but on my current install, but its a Alpine INE-Z928-HD to a Helix DSP Pro then on to Dynaudio Esotec components in 8" for front doors and 7" for the back doors. That was a whole project there since there are no rear door speakers in our trucks.

Attachments

#25 ·
I run 150 watts to each front tweeter, each front mid, and each front midbass driver. Then 150 to each rear coaxial, and 750 watts to each sub, which I run sealed, mainly due to size constraints. I think the HD amps match incredibly well with the ZRs and W7s.

Car audio has been a long time passion of mine - much more than truck stuff, honestly.

#27 ·
Ya, that's a kicka$$ setup!

#28 ·
W7 is the real deal subwoofer made by JL Audio. Ahh you must have that in your front console there. That is a deep woofer and there's no getting one of those behind or under the back seats.
I am using two 10" and one 12" JL TW3-D4 pancake subwoofers. Those are thin enough for me to fit under the rear seats. Nowhere near the horse power of a W7 but between the three it should be well balanced.
I am a Alpine fan for sure. They are not a big gadget company but they produce high sound quality and that's all that matters in my book. JL is also another well respected outfit that has a nice line of drivers as well as amplifiers.
How many watts are you pushing in your system?

#29 · (Edited)
2700 total. Two HD 600/4s and two HD 750/1s. Two JL W7s getting 750 each. 150x8 for everything else. I used to run one of their 13TW5s in a Stealth Box, but it just wasn't enough output for me, so I designed that console to JL specs for 2 W7s sealed. I'd go ported if I could. The jump seat thing sucks anyway. I do sometimes miss center console storage or having more than 2 cup holders on long trips, but for wheelin', it's no biggie.

That Explorer in the first pic is pretty ridiculous, too. In it, I run a pair of Type 15s on a ported 7 cube box tuned to 33 hz, made from 1" MDF. Alll Alpine and JL in there, as well.

#31 · (Edited)
Thank you! Head unit is an Alpine w505 for now. I like the optical out, Ai-Net, and ability to control the H701 from the touch screen.

#33 ·
Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.