Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Weird Vibration/Rubbing Noise When Accelerating

12K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  jcm3 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 F250 that I did a very small lift on a few years ago. It makes an odd noise and has some vibration when I'm accelerating from a stop, usually only for a few seconds, then it goes away. It almost sounds like something is rubbing on the drivetrain, but I've gone under there and checked numerous times, and I don't see anything close.

I do run a tune most of the time, but that's probably not related.

It has a 2 1/2 inch Icon lift, and I run one size larger tires on the stock rims.

I've done a bunch of searches, but haven't found anything conclusive. I've read things about ball joints, u-joints, bearings, etc. What is interesting is that I read a question asking if it only happens when it's in 2WD, and it does. If I lock the hubs and put it in 4WD (I have a manual transaxle), it doesn't make the noise.

I'm not sure if things are slightly out of whack due to the increased angle of the driveshaft(s), if maybe a bearing is out, or what, and I'm hesitant to bring it in anywhere because they will probably charge me out the arse and not fix the problem. I usually do my own work, but for something like this don't even know where to start.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? I don't want it to turn into something serious.

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you checked the downpipe to make sure it's not rubbing on the frame or body. If it too close, it could rub under motor torque and then ease off once the truck is moving well.

Reactions: jokester00
#5 ·
That's one thing I didn't check, I will have to take a better look.

It doesn't seem to do it while in 4WD though, so not sure if that helps identify what it could be.

#3 ·
Did you install the lift yourself? Did you check torque and tighten all fasteners to spec on a regular basis after the lift was put in?

Was a new track bar installed, or is the factory bar still in place?

Did the truck make this noise at all prior to the lift going in?

#4 ·
Yes I did, and no I haven't. I will get under there and double-check everything.

I don't remember it doing it before, but am not 100% sure when it started. I don't really get on it much, so honestly don't remember when I started to notice it. I'm pretty sure it didn't do it before the lift, but am also not sure that it started right after.

#6 ·
I would add to check your cab mounts as well. All though I don't think this is them, wouldn't hurt and easy to check. I would think this would be more consistent if it was a cab mount however. But I heard when they go bad, it's can cause more vibrations and noise in the cab.

#7 ·
Good point. I was also thinking this morning on the way to work that I need to check the motor mounts, seems like a perfect explanation, although I'm not yet sure if they are the root cause.

#8 ·
Is it worse the harder you accelerate?

#9 ·
Definitely. If I accelerate pretty hard (which I've not been doing because of the noise), it almost sounds like there's something rubbing against the driveline. It's not a hard, metallic sound, more like a vibration as if the exhaust is pushing up against something.

Reactions: Treehick
#10 ·
You are experiencing axle wrap. The U-Joint is binding up on acceleration. Traction bars are a good cure or getting a set of rear leaf springs to get rid of the lift blocks. There are several good options for buying or you can build a set and save a few bucks.

#11 ·
Ahhh, interesting. I think my leaf springs are probably sagging with age, so I usually put a few pounds air in the air bags to get it at the right attitude that I like (forgot to mention the air bags). I thought about replacing the F250 springs with F350 springs, which I assume would lift the rear about two inches, would I be right in that?

Or, maybe it's just better to do it at a suspension/spring shop and have them fix it up?

#12 ·
I would consider icon or Carli springs.

Reactions: JesseKK
#13 ·
Did you install drive shaft shims?

#14 ·
Good question, no I didn't. I didn't read anything or get any recommendations from Icon on doing drive shaft shims with such a small lift, so I'm definitely ignorant on that one. I just did some research on that, and traction bars also.

Would it make more sense for me to just go with the F350 leafs (which make the truck sit 2" higher in the rear) and remove the blocks altogether? My truck has 155k on it, so the suspension (front and rear) is probably pretty worn. I replaced the front springs, but the rest of the suspension is probably showing its age and is probably in need of some upgrades/updates.

#17 ·
The springs are going to yield the same heights. The factory F350 blocks are 3 5/8". If the drive shaft appears to be straight shimming the carrier bearing won't yield anything. When the carrier bearing is worn out and/or you have worn u joints this will add to the binding of the u joint causing this.

#18 ·
Got it, thanks! I'll get in there and do some more detailed inspections and see how things look.

#19 ·
Old thread, but I think I may have found what is causing the vibration/shake.

I'm very particular about how my truck looks, and like 95% of all bigger trucks, it sits lower on the driver's side than the passenger side, mainly because of the weight of the fuel tank and driver. I know that I shouldn't do this, but I have more air in the driver's side airbag than the passenger side, to level it out. I know the ride is not as good, but it looks better.

I just thought about this, and tried letting all of the air out of both airbags to test. It still does it maybe a tiny bit, but probably only about 5% as much as it did before. It may have always done it a little it (especially with a tune on it and faster acceleration), but never as much as it was when I posted this thread. I had removed my tune for a few reasons, mainly because I was worried something was wearing out and didn't want to push it.

Just a heads up in case this comes up in a search at some point.

Reactions: Treehick
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.