1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tailgate camera

About 1.5 years ago I bought my tailgate with the factory camera and now that I upgraded the head unit I would like to hook up the camera but as you might know is a factory plug and it doesn't even have a RCA, is there any diy about this or does someone sells a harness for it?

07 f350 Dually tow boss, NUC delux oil bypass with Amsoil filter, IPR high flow coolant filter, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, Fabtech 6" lift kit with stealth shocks, Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Edge Evolution with EGT sensor, PHP ficm programmer, BPD Ficm, BPD water pump, BPD 7.3 fan upgrade, BPD diesel aluminum fuel cap, OEM intercooler cac tube upgrade, 6.7 starter, 6.7 tailgate, Harley Davidson style headlights, color matched front grill, Bushwacker 2" front fender flares, Warn front hitch, custom front bumper, Ravelco anti theft system, Fumoto drain plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Google image ford camera pin out, and pick the style camera you have.....pretty simple wiring.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to portcity_gt For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (05-18-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
Google image ford camera pin out, and pick the style camera you have.....pretty simple wiring.
Good idea, been trying to find a diy for a few hours now but didn't think searching that way. Will see

07 f350 Dually tow boss, NUC delux oil bypass with Amsoil filter, IPR high flow coolant filter, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, Fabtech 6" lift kit with stealth shocks, Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Edge Evolution with EGT sensor, PHP ficm programmer, BPD Ficm, BPD water pump, BPD 7.3 fan upgrade, BPD diesel aluminum fuel cap, OEM intercooler cac tube upgrade, 6.7 starter, 6.7 tailgate, Harley Davidson style headlights, color matched front grill, Bushwacker 2" front fender flares, Warn front hitch, custom front bumper, Ravelco anti theft system, Fumoto drain plug.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post

Yeap, found a thread with the color codes and it matches so it looks like is coming to be an easy job but I need to figure out how to convert the video wire to RCA connector.
JesseKK likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Yeap, found a thread with the color codes and it matches so it looks like is coming to be an easy job but I need to figure out how to convert the video wire to RCA connector.
Solder on a female rca connector :

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to portcity_gt For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (05-19-2017)
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Was just looking at the color codes per this reply and compared them to my current harness that came with the camera and they match but can't understand pin 4 and pin 5. I'm guessing pin 5 is just a ground to chassis right?

How about pin 4, when he said "black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground", what should he means????

Pin 1 is Violet with Gray strip and is +12 volts
Pin 2 is White with Green strip and is Video +
Pin 3 is Brown with Violet strip and is Video -
Pin 4 is Black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground.
Pin 5 is Black on Male connector and Black with White stripe on Female connector and is Power Ground.
Pin 6 is not used.

This is another reply from a different thread, some of the colors match,

You should have 5 wires coming from the camera and should be as follows. You'll want to verify the colors on your particular camera. White/brown-(12 volt), black-(ground), white/green-(video+), brown/violet-(video-), and black/white-(will not be used). White/brown goes to a switched 12v such as power from your reverse lights, black goes to a good ground. The video wires you run to a cut off end of an RCA cable, the white/green (video+) goes to the inner wire of the RCA cable, the brown/violet (video-) goes to the outer wire of the cable. Then just plug the RCA to your camera input on your head unit. The camera is only powered on when it receives power from your reverse lights, and not all the time like you mentioned. The reverse signal you can get by tapping into one of your backup lights wiring, grounding you can do anywhere, so alls you should have to do is run two wires to the front of the truck for your RCA connection to the head unit.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The pinout seems clear enough.

Pin 5 to the chassis. Pin 1 to your reverse lamp. Pin 2 to RCA center and pin 3 to RCA shield. Ignore pins 4 and 6.

You could bench test it with any TV with a composite video input. Just connect a +12V supply to the reverse line (pin 1) and the supply ground to pin 5.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (05-19-2017)
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
The pinout seems clear enough.

Pin 5 to the chassis. Pin 1 to your reverse lamp. Pin 2 to RCA center and pin 3 to RCA shield. Ignore pins 4 and 6.

You could bench test it with any TV with a composite video input. Just connect a +12V supply to the reverse line (pin 1) and the supply ground to pin 5.
Thanks for the clarification, my confusion was Pin 4 "Black and is a ground shield for Video"
as I really didn't understand what he meant by that. I'll try to bench test it tomorrow.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I've worked with Cable ground shields that were made to cut down on RF interference for the wires inside the bundle. These would surround cables and wires by high powered transmitters transmitters. Haven't seen what the cable you're talking about, but from my two decades old electronics experience, I would say it'll look like a wire wrap. For home use, I would sometimes not connect that cable shield, and I would not see any noticeable difference.

2005 F250
172,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit
Bullet Proof EGR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSki For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (05-19-2017)
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Thanks for the clarification, my confusion was Pin 4 "Black and is a ground shield for Video"
as I really didn't understand what he meant by that. I'll try to bench test it tomorrow.
I completely get the confusion.

Because vehicles are so electrically noisy, Ford likely runs video + and - as twisted wires (referred to as twisted pair) with the video shield around them. The shield would be unconnected at the display end to give the best video quality and stop any ground loops from occurring.

If you had some twisted pair shielded wire, you could do that and just connect video + and - to the RCA connector at the display end, but that wire isn't so easy to come by.

You'll be fine going directly to single conductor shielded at the connector as you are planning.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (05-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode