27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New exhaust

Im looking into getting a new exhaust for my 06 6.0 and of course going straight pipe an deleting cat n muffler. I was wondering if doing so will put my truck in to limp mode, not having a sct tuner

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
No, it won't put your truck into limp mode. Are you going with a Turbo Back or Cat Back exhaust? Some guys have reported a 'drone' with a complete straight pipe exhaust. Depending on the sound you want, and your budget, you could install a Cat Back exhaust with a turbo-style muffler. When installing it, pull the catalyst housing and check to see if the catalyst element has fallen out. Sometimes they just fall out in a thousand pieces and give you a free-flowing exhaust.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, Blue Spring, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, custom front bumper replacement, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #3 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
No, it won't put your truck into limp mode. Are you going with a Turbo Back or Cat Back exhaust? Some guys have reported a 'drone' with a complete straight pipe exhaust. Depending on the sound you want, and your budget, you could install a Cat Back exhaust with a turbo-style muffler. When installing it, pull the catalyst housing and check to see if the catalyst element has fallen out. Sometimes they just fall out in a thousand pieces and give you a free-flowing exhaust.
What's drone mean? I was planning on going from turbo back with maybe a 5" Mbrp. I know it's illegal to remove the cat but heard it's better to have it off. Should I keep it on and gut it out? I live in Florida and they dont have inspections

post #4 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Drone is a resonating sound that is either constant at a set RPM range, or can change frequency with engine speed. Depending on the severity it can drive you nuts. Most factory built aftermarket systems attempt to design it out. Having an empty cat housing can reduce/eliminate this because the large 'chamber' changes the frequency. I'm no expert, so one of the other guys may come along and correct me.

Keep in mind that a 5" turbo back exhaust with likely do nothing for performance unless you do some serious performance mods, and will most certainly require the removal of your spare tire from under the truck.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, Blue Spring, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, custom front bumper replacement, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #5 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help. What would you recommend doing to get better sound and more power?

post #6 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apassero2009 View Post
Thanks for the help. What would you recommend doing to get better sound and more power?

And better mpgs

post #7 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM
THIS IS HOW WE DO IT....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
5 inch will not require you to remove your spare tire. However, going to 5 inch will not increase your performance unless you're seriously modified.

4 inch TB (biggest downpipe we can install is 4 inch anyways) is more than plenty for 90%of applications.

contact Corey@cncfab (one of our supporting vendors) for options and prices.
apassero2009 likes this.

Zach

07 F250 King Ranch FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/Arizona Beige, Rotella T6+Archoil
6000K HIDs, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted,
Banks CAI, Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII
138,000 miles....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Think of the most attractive person you know. Even that person, at some point, has had raging diarrhea"

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #8 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I'm not trying to do anything drastic just want to get some sound and a little more power n mpgs

post #9 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Fill it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Garage
I have done this to two trucks now both 2006. So here it goes:

Aluminized pipe will sound better then Stainless Steel. And its because the SS is so thin that you will have sound coming through it.

I had exhaust drone bad when it was 4" turbo back straight piped. I then put on a Donaldson muffler and still had drone in the cab. Then I cut off the pipes to the Cat and welded on 4" pipes to it. Knocked out the honeycomb Cat material and put it back in the stock location and my drone was gone.
So having that open Cat creates a expansion chamber I suppose but it hands down gets rid of any exhaust drone that you would have otherwise.

Trust me I know because it was the same exact result on both of my trucks.

I'm running a Corsa muffler on my current truck but I'm going to replace it with another Donaldson. So the Corsa Muffler will most likely go up for sale. Its a good looking muffler and works off of sound delay technology in one way or another. Its just a little louder then I like at WOT. It has a unique sound at all other speeds I will admit, a bit like a big block gas engine tone.. But at WOT it sounds like a straight piped 6.0 to me. I know lots of guys like that sound I'm just not one of them.

Oh yea go 4" there's NO POINT is anything bigger.
zsargent likes this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
7" Icon/Carli Lift
ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
X4 PHP 65 HP Custom Tow Tune
Atlas40
4" SS exhaust
58K Miles on it
2000 Watts of McIntosh Bliss
post #10 of 42 Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 AM
THIS IS HOW WE DO IT....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
In my years running my exhaust and brake shops, we found that straight piped exhaust was NOT the way to go. We had a disclaimer for the "drone" with straight piped exhausts. The majority of the time, customers always came back and we installed turbo mufflers.

When I do mine it will be 4 inch AL with a muffler. Nothing else. The kitty will go away.
FYI. Busting up the guts of a Cat converter can be very time consuming. Have a few cold ones handy. And the Kitty on our trucks isn't exactly small.....
SparkyF250 and apassero2009 like this.

Zach

07 F250 King Ranch FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/Arizona Beige, Rotella T6+Archoil
6000K HIDs, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted,
Banks CAI, Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII
138,000 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

"Think of the most attractive person you know. Even that person, at some point, has had raging diarrhea"

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
The Following User Says Thank You to zsargent For This Useful Post:
apassero2009 (05-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode