7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Sync...

Can someone confirm that FICM Sync is just confirming that the Cam and Crank position sensors are operating and sending agreeable data?

My truck ran great for about 1k miles after I finished the Head Gasket/Stud job, but a couple weeks ago I put a new IPR in and now it builds pressure like crazy but idles rough and if you step on the throttle it acts like it has a misfire or just isn't running on all the cylinders.

Using FORscan, I get "FICM SYNC", 47.5 to 48 volts to the FICM, great pressure from the ICP (the only time the demanded and actual pressures were any different is if you try to rev to high or to quickly, then they mismatch).

I am throwing codes on all 8 glow plugs, but this problem remains even after the truck idles and is up to temp.

It did have a Crank Position Sensor error last week and I was going to replace it, but if I get a good reliable FICM sync, doesn't that mean that the Crank Position Sensor is operating normally and that error has since gone away.

Can I have good voltage and FICM SYNC and still have a bad FICM???

2005 CCSB F250 FX4
Studs, New H/G, Blue Spring Mod, PHP 40 HP Atlas tune and 80 HP Heavy Tow tunes, and a new turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Fill it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Garage
I would be looking for a cylinder contribution test so you can pinpoint where its coming from. The crank and cam sensor is not going to make your idle rough. Its a locater or calibrator for the ECM and FICM to time everything.
I'm thinking you more likely have a injector problem, either electrically or mechanically via HPO system issue.

Are you sure your FICM plugs are all in tight and no chafing on the wiring to the injectors.

Surely others will chime in and tell you exactly what's up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
7" Icon/Carli Lift
ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
X4 PHP 65 HP Custom Tow Tune
Atlas40
4" SS exhaust
58K Miles on it
2000 Watts of McIntosh Bliss
post #3 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think "rough idle" may be a bit of a misleading description.. It is a very predictable miss in the idle, not sumbling and coughing at all.

This problem did begin the first start after replacing the IPR with a new unit... I have already pulled the FICM to double check the condition of the pins and to make sure I had a good positive engagement of the 3 connectors on the bottom, all was good. I did remove the wiring harness on the drivers side rear injector to make getting to the IPR easier, but it is back in and tight. Nothing else was removed.

The old IPR screen was pushed in a tad and had a few specks of debris on it, so no doubt it was having issues. I have heard this is common after opening up the oil cooler area and contaminates getting in there.

I haven't heard of a cylinder contribution test on the 6.0, special equipment needed?

2005 CCSB F250 FX4
Studs, New H/G, Blue Spring Mod, PHP 40 HP Atlas tune and 80 HP Heavy Tow tunes, and a new turbo.

post #4 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Fill it up again Dummy

Garage
Yea there is a scanner available that does it and of coarse I cant remember the name. But its not cheap, you would be better off taking it to a shop and have them do it.
It basically drops out one cylinder at a time while watching the engines sensors and HP output. It will show how much each cylinder contributes to the power.

Someone else will know what scanners can do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7" Icon/Carli Lift
Atlas40
4" SS exhaust
58K Miles on it
post #5 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I haven't tried driving it since putting the new IPR and this "miss" starting for fear of doing more damage than good, but with the severity of the miss while giving it a bit of gas with the trans in park, i don't think its likely to drive anywhere under its own power.. going it to the dealer is more than likely going to be required if I have to do this contribution test

2005 CCSB F250 FX4
post #6 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just drove it around the block and it chugs along with very little power like it is going to die.. the entire time Forscan showed the FICM was synced, the desired and actual icp pressures were fine, the IPR % looked normal, zero misfires reported... still the only codes being thrown are all 8 glow plugs... Im going to pick up a new glow plug relay tomorrow and see if that fixes the glow plug issue, but i am at a total loss for why its running like crap now

What are the possible reasons a 6.0 will seem like its missing but not throw a single code to indicate why?

2005 CCSB F250 FX4
post #7 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Fill it up again Dummy

Garage
What is the ICP pressures and IPR% when you are pushing it to go ?
Also what kind of boost is it making with the turbo ?
You have any way of checking your fuel pressure ?

7" Icon/Carli Lift
Atlas40
4" SS exhaust
58K Miles on it
post #8 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re-seat your FICM connections. It's fairly easy, doesn't take long and may very well be your problem. And yes, you can have sync and still have a bad connection in one of the plugs. I'd verify that all of the locking tabs are in place too. If any are broken, split a peice of 3/4" heater hose about 5" long and put it under the connections to put some pressure on the connections and hold them in place. If it doesn't fix it, at least you've crossed it off the list.

Dexter

2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 with iMFD
SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently TSD MPD)
FICM from Ed
PHP FICM tuner (currently Atlas40)
KC Stage 1.5 Turbo
Blue Spring update
IPR Coolant Filter w/manifold
Rotella ELC Coolant (CAT EC-1 rated)
BPD EGR Cooler
New (03/23/14) OEM Oil Cooler - (backflushed 05/10/15 @ ~40K & 07/03/16 @ ~70k)
post #9 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Buzz test is quick and easy

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

**i don't use capitals. deal with it**
post #10 of 40 Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
AutoEngineuity software w/ FOrd Bundle for about $350 will do a contribution test. Ford IDS does it better, but runs close to $1000. Both these do so much more than just a monitor.

I don't have either, but if my truck acts up again, I will try the AutoEnginuity.

2005 F250
172,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit
Bullet Proof EGR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode