Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Should I buy it?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Sock Puppet 
#1 ·
I've been a member on here for a while as I previously owned a 2004 . My truck actually never gave me an issue but I moved on to a cummins.. Now for the question. I am in the market for a new (to me) truck, was looking for early 2000s Cummins but I have a family member that hit me up about buying his 06 PS. My immediate thought was no, but after driving it for a week here are my thoughts. It's in very good shape, one owner.. stock, never a programmer and it's never had any failures or work done.. 145k miles.. so my thoughts started comparing to buying a ram. With this I know the hx, I know it's a good truck. I love the roomy cab on the ford vs ram, I've had a PS, I like the ride and build quality of the ford vs the dodge, and most of all I can get it for MUCH cheaper than a comparable Cummins.. 145 k miles, fx4 leather, one owner in good shape. He wants 12.. so my question is, get this and hope it's going to treat me right or stick to my plan of getting a cummins??

#3 · (Edited)
Hook a monitor up to it and find out what you are going to need to throw at it... If its never had anything done its going to need some love at some point, and there is probably a reason he is getting rid of it.

Without looking at it myself I can't, nor will I tell you to buy ANY truck. What I can tell you is if you buy it without having someone who really knows these trucks do a thorough diag, you will be on here complaining. That isn't telling you not to buy it though...

You need a monitor so you can check icp, ipr, ficm, oil cooler, and pretty much every other sensor........... Take a VERY close look for ANY exhaust/boost leaks. Drive it till she is warm then keep driving for another hour, do a few WOT runs to test head gaskets. Any signs of puking at the degas bottle, well she needs head gaskets (For some people a cap will work, but most of the time it is the heads unfortunately). If the oil cooler is clogged it has been starving the egr cooler of coolant... Guess what that means...

None of these issues are a reason not to buy a truck, but if she needs head gaskets and injectors.... Well, she ain't worth 12 grand. If the truck is in fact in pristine condition with very minor issues, that price isn't bad at all and I would jump on it. But, be sure to plan to jump in and fix weak links properly WHEN they show up. If you do that you can't go wrong and you will be in it for a hell of a lot less than a cummins that probably needs a trans, injectors, has 200k on the chassis, and a front end that needs replacing every 30k miles.

Just make sure you get it at a price that makes sense considering whatever work needs done. And make sure you are ready to pull the heads and stud it properly when the day comes. And if it needs it now, PLEASE make sure you know it before you fork over $12,000. :thumb:

--------EDIT--------

Ohhhhhh and one last thing, we are here to help. Everything you could ever want or need to know is probably on this site somewhere. But, you are going to need a monitor for us to help you do pretty much anything on a 6.0.

#4 ·
As I said, I previously had an 04 version so I know the truck somewhat, not as well as most of you guys, but that's why I'm here. To answer a few questions. He us selling it because he runs a business and just upgrades to the new f250.. and I have had the truck the last 2 weeks (borrowing it to help move) I have looked at the coolant top (looks clean). No evidence of leaks anywhere, and the truck starts idles and runs really well.. I am curious as to your point about forking over 12g. I actually thought that was very cheap as the truck books for 17ish. Is that not a good price for the truck? Who would I have hook up to it and check all the sensors as stated?

#6 ·
$12K is a good price here in Ca for sure. I don't see how you can go wrong to be honest. The big thing for me is the fact it has never been tuned. That is huge it really is but I would get rid of the gold coolant as soon as you can. I would also get some gauges on it because the oil cooler may need to be replaced because of the Ford Gold coolant. But that's not a big cost there.

I'm a yes vote and I know how well they ride because its same truck as I have.

Reactions: CrazyS0b
#7 ·
I will vote yes, with one caveat:

If everything checks out now, but 12 months from now, the truck needs new heads, oil cooler, and an EGR, if there will be any chance of bad feelings between the two of you, I would not recommend buying it. For friends and relatives, I'm a little reluctant to mix business and pleasure.

#9 ·
I'm actually one to agree with you about the mixing business with friendship, on the other hand I feel very comfy about both of us going in. I don't think he'd purposely sell me something he thought had problems and I think I know the 6.0 risk going in. I actually feel better about it than buying a truck I don't know as we all know most ppl with a diesel tune them and beat them. (I did on my first one!)

#11 ·
Its a great price, don't get me wrong. Just saying, its worth putting the time into finding out how many little issues there are. In most cases with a 6.0 its not really the cost of replacing say an stc fitting or an oil cooler... Its the time the truck is down and/or the time you are stuck wrenching on it. If you are gonna pay for it, know what to expect.

Its that whole, "Be an informed buyer" saying... More for your own sanity than anything lol.

#18 ·
Go to a Ford dealership and give them your VIN# and ask for an Oasis report.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.