Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Clockspring

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can buy a clockspring for a descent price?

#3 ·
What kind of clock do you want a spring for?

#4 ·
He's got to be working on the clock over the mantle with the Westminster Chime......... LMAO

I know ours is overwound and it wont budge. Been that way now for close to 10 years, which I'm not complaining because its for the chime in the clock.
Your going to have to get a hold of a clock shop. Or see if you can go directly through the maker of the clock itself.

Good Luck with the project.

#8 ·
Im kind of new to the 6.0, just curious why you need to replace this part? I wouldn't think this would be something that needs to be changed ever really. Also, my suggestion is buy a cheap puller tool, and go to a local u-pull-it type salvage yard and get one. Steering wheels are relatively easy to pull off with the right tools. Some may need some odd bit drivers, but nothing special really. This would save you a lot more money IMO

#10 ·
#11 ·
It surprises me how many people will comment on this thread that have no clue what or care to know what a part on their truck is. Thanks to the guys who answered my question. I will look into these places. Its no rush to me so I might wait till I see a parts truck on here but do want to look at possibly new one too.

#12 ·
Well, in there defense, this is a very strange part to have to ask about replacing, which leads me back to my question why you are replacing it. Its not a common part to replace on any vehicle and since it directly ties in with the steering, this part HAS to function properly on all vehicles. Its a safety issue if it doesn't.

#13 ·
5C3Z-14A664-A - with cruise control
5C3Z-14A664-D - without cruise control
5C3Z-14A664-AA - with Audio controls

there is a "BA" also, but not sure what is different about that.

thanks for pointing out the variations G8orFord

#17 ·
The reason I am replacing is because mine has stopped working.
Well i kind of figured that already. No need to state the obvious. More specifically, was it the horn stopped working, or other electrical issues? Like i said, im a new 6.0 owner so im just trying to learn all i can about potential issues...along with all the other issues I already know of.

#18 ·
The clock spring isn't a common issue at all. However, the 03 model years are 14+ years old now. I suspect that we will see more oddball issues like this come up.

#19 ·
Like bismic said it is not a common issue with the 6.0L. This can be a problem with any vehicle due to it being a highly used part. Their are different symptoms with this part. I have found people that everything worked on the steering wheel except the horn. Mine issue is the horn/cruise control/and audio all stopped working. I own/operate a patio furniture business and have wholesalers 2+ hours down the highway and cruise control does help. Trife96, remember research on this site if generally helpful but sometimes not always accurate, but this site does have a lot of good people and will help a lot.

#25 ·
The clockspring is not a "common" fail point on the 6.0 or most any other vehicle, but it does happen. I've replaced a couple over the years. It's understandable that some would not know about it, but it's also a fairly common term in my opinion. No sense in getting flustered about it, whichever category you fall into.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#26 ·
Well said...

Reactions: bubmiller
#31 ·
I need to change mine too. Airbag light flashing code 32 which i hear is the clockspring. Everything else works cruise, horn, radio, Ac buttons. The cruise didnt engage a few weeks ägo but has worked ever since go figure. I thought about a salvage part but dont feel like doing this job again. I need to buy one too and of course it is the most expensive one with audio controls.

#33 ·
I ended up buying a new OEM Ford one on Ebay or Amazon, much less than the local dealer. Fixed it and no issues since.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: partyman97_3
#34 ·
glad you got it fixed @leechiu

i have to pull my air bag to tighten my wheel nut any tricks or an article u referred to ?

Amazon is a good deal untill you need a warranty and their little return window is up trying to get MFG's to warranty Amazon buys can be impossible
many state that upfront now

a Ford part bought at a dealer is warrantied at any dealer I wonder how you would be treated at Ford with an Amazon printout?

#35 ·
I watched this youtube video and took notes. Getting the wheel off was a booger. I used a harbor freight puller.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnnybgood
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.