Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rear axle seal

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I noticed a leak under my truck this morning and wet caliper.. at first I thought I have a leaky seal in the caliper but then touched and tasted the fluid.. its diff fluid.

Now I haven't done this before so any tips and or trick would be appreciated but from what I can read its best to the wheel bearing at the same time and do both sides with ford parts. Could someone confirm the part #'s that I'll require my local ford isn't very knowledgeable : doh:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
6.0 or 7.3 (I don't see a sig, but posted under 6.0 and you name is Bill_7.3, :dunno:) ?

I don't know much about the 7.3 axles but I know about the 6.0

#7 ·
not a problem. Just wanted to make sure. so if it's a SRW then you have the Sterling 10.5 axle (DRW would be a Dana 80)

In order to get to the bearings in the axles you will need a special "toothed" socket.
I have one that I bought a few years ago. It wasn't cheap if I remember right.
Let me see if I can get a part number for you. Here's a link

https://store.snapon.com/Spanner-So...50-F350-with-Floating-Rear-Axle--P642139.aspx

You'll need to remove the wheel/tire, caliper and caliper anchor plate.
Then remove the axle shaft bolts and then pull out the axle shaft.
Once you have the axle shaft removed there is a nut that is holding the hub/rotor assembly onto the axle. The nut is a locking nut and you will need that special socket that releases the lock while you remove the nut.
After that nut is removed you can remove the outer wheel bearing and pull hub/rotor assembly off of the axle.

Once you have the hub removed you have to remove the seal from the back side of the hub and drive a new seal in.

Hope this helps. I'd do a rear axle flush if that was me. And check the other side (or better yet just get it done for piece of mind...)

#10 ·
not a problem. Just wanted to make sure. so if it's a SRW then you have the Sterling 10.5 axle (DRW would be a Dana 80)

In order to get to the bearings in the axles you will need a special "toothed" socket.
I have one that I bought a few years ago. It wasn't cheap if I remember right.
Let me see if I can get a part number for you. Here's a link

You'll need to remove the wheel/tire, caliper and caliper anchor plate.
Then remove the axle shaft bolts and then pull out the axle shaft.
Once you have the axle shaft removed there is a nut that is holding the hub/rotor assembly onto the axle. The nut is a locking nut and you will need that special socket that releases the lock while you remove the nut.
After that nut is removed you can remove the outer wheel bearing and pull hub/rotor assembly off of the axle.

Once you have the hub removed you have to remove the seal from the back side of the hub and drive a new seal in.

Hope this helps. I'd do a rear axle flush if that was me. And check the other side (or better yet just get it done for piece of mind...)
Perfect thanks for this, I was thinking of doing the bearings while I have it all apart as well.
@ZMANN Thanks for the link

#9 ·
I'm not so sure about the slinger, but I would definitely check out the bearings/races. if the seal has failed, there might be a good chance crap got in there (water, dust, whatever)
so I would definitely pay attention to them.

Thanks @ZMANN for posting the pics on the link. There's a pic of the socket I'm talking about. I recommend you get the socket, it will make the job WAY easier when it comes to loosening and tightening the locknut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.