Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

To stud or not to stud 6.0...new member!

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jagman2004 
#1 ·
Just bought my first diesel, 04 6.0 CC 4X4 with 170k. Truck runs good since I replaced all injectors, had two going out. Looking to delete EGR and add SCT tuner. No head issues to be found but should I have it studded proactively or will stock bolts hold with general tunes? I pull an 18' bass boat and 32' 5th wheel on occasion (not together) other than that nothing special. Work will be performed by KC Performance Diesel. Or am I better off keeping it stock? All thoughts appreciated!

#2 ·
If it's not going to be tuned I say let it ride. Mine's got 180k on original gaskets and bolts. If I was putting a mild tune on mine I'd go ahead and stud it just because I know I wouldn't be able to resist cranking it up to a race tune and rodding around in it. For that reason, I have no tuner! :frown2:

#3 ·
I have an 04 with about 177k on the clock now and have had the truck tuned for most of it's life, bought the truck with 86k on it. I am still on TTYs and haven't had any major issues. I have drag raced the truck, towed heavy, and wheeled the snot out of it in the mountains. My DD tune is a full fuel tune for trucks without studs. My train of thought is that when the gaskets go then I will deal with them. On the other hand, when I finally up the size of my injectors I will do new gaskets and studs because I know the gaskets would be very short lived with larger injectors.

JMO

Reactions: 323flint
#6 ·
^^ditto
Except I now have 183k on my truck and I bought it at 85k. I'd guess I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 90k on mine since it's been tuned. When they go, I'll fix it. I'm not certain they aren't leaking a little now, but I get no puking yet, so we'll see.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#4 ·
Welcome! Sounds good. Checkout Gearhead performance. They offer some good towing tunes that are head bolt friendly. Get something good to monitor everything and you should be fine.

#5 ·
TSD also writes some very good tunes for trucks without studs.

#7 ·
If you have the extra cash just laying around then stud it. Mine has 130,000 miles on it stock. Right now I see no reason to change anything. I have done oil/egr coolers, delete cat and muffler and hpop. I also did the egr valve delete spool plug. So maybe I'm not totally stock. But it runs awesome and tows my 13,000 lb 5th wheel.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Thanks so much for the advice! I think I will just delete the EGR then run a light tune and ride it out, don't really have the extra pocket change right now. Especially after breaking the fuel line retainer clips at the sending unit😩 Any suggestions on fuel lines????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.