Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

opinion on these wheels...

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  PSD150 
#1 ·
let me start by saying ive searched and been thru alot of threads without a sufficient answer. a guy i know is selling some wheels that came off an unknown SD. these are Moto Metal MO951's, best i can measure they are 20x10's with 4 13/16" of BS. my 03 has a 3" leveling kit, stock wheels and some kind of spacers that im pretty sure are not hub-centric (because of the random vibrations), so i am planning on removing the spacers (if the wheels will work and not look retarded), getting some cut out fender flares and chopping the bumper anyhow, vague question time... will these wheels work and what is the largest tire i can clear?

#2 ·
What's the lug nut pattern?

#4 ·
i had 20x10's on my early 04 with a 3 inch level :thumb:
they will fit but rubber might meet leaf spring at full crank :dunno: that is all about the backspacing
if you can get a good enough deal on them ... i say go for it :D

#8 ·
well, thanks to ZMANN's link, coupled with the 3200# rating stamped in the webing, my rough measurement of 6.6875" bolt spacing and the fact that these wheels are gloss black with machined rim, looks like they are the following wheels...

MO9512087318 20" x 10" 8x170.00 -18 4.79 GLOSS BLACK MACHINED 130.81 3200 lbs $261 MO353B136CH1

-18 offset and 4.79 BS

#9 ·
but talk him down a bit further..
i got mine for 400 WITH tires on them :thumb::
and they looked better cared for and less rusted
granted the tires were very tired but they got me through till i found the deal i wanted on my bfg's :thumb:

Reactions: Beerbait and PSD150
#10 · (Edited)
now im wondering if they are hubcentric (i guess i will pull one and try it on) and if so, what size tire would clear...

edit: i just found that they have a 130.81mm centerbore, i found one place that said my hub dimension is 124.9... does this match what anyone else knows to be true?

#11 ·
come to think of it isnt bs supposed to be 4.5 or less? or is it 4.5 or more?

#13 ·
my rims are 9"
with a -12 offset at 4.53 BS

i think the rims you found are for a coil truck ??

here are a few differences between the rims spanning 1999 to 2008. In 2004, Ford changed the Superduty wheel stud thread pitch FROM 14MM x 2.0mm TO 14MM x 1.5mm. The other more notable difference is the offset of the wheel. The wheel offset was modified in 2004 to accompany coil springs and a shorter turn radius. You can not directly mount a 2004 + rim to a 1999 - 2003 truck because the rim will sit exactly 2 inches too far inward which allows the tire to rub when turning and decreases vehicle stability. The solution to this issue is purchasing wheel adapters / spacer that replaces the offset to sit the tire assembly where it was originally. Remember that word I told you to remember, HUB CENTRIC? You must purchase hub centric adapters or you may be endangering yourself.

#14 ·
Could be... I like my factory wheels, I'm starting to consider more seriously keeping them and just getting some good quality, hubcentric spacers to replace the ones already on there.

my rims are 9"
with a -12 offset at 4.53 BS

i think the rims you found are for a coil truck ??

here are a few differences between the rims spanning 1999 to 2008. In 2004, Ford changed the Superduty wheel stud thread pitch FROM 14MM x 2.0mm TO 14MM x 1.5mm. The other more notable difference is the offset of the wheel. The wheel offset was modified in 2004 to accompany coil springs and a shorter turn radius. You can not directly mount a 2004 + rim to a 1999 - 2003 truck because the rim will sit exactly 2 inches too far inward which allows the tire to rub when turning and decreases vehicle stability. The solution to this issue is purchasing wheel adapters / spacer that replaces the offset to sit the tire assembly where it was originally. Remember that word I told you to remember, HUB CENTRIC? You must purchase hub centric adapters or you may be endangering yourself.

#15 ·
That doesn't make much sense, my 04 has the same suspension as a 99-03.

#17 ·
I was kinda figuring... in 2004, when they were building 2005 trucks...

Lol

Reactions: ZMANN
#19 ·
So at this point I'm weighing my options,

option 1: buy the good quality hub centric spacers I found for $200 a set of four, use my stock wheels, put the two good bfg 315/70/17's that were on the truck along with two new matching ones cost is around $750.

Option 2: just remove the spacers and get the used wheels and buy new tires approx $1700.

Im leaning toward option 1, I really don't care about fancy wheels and I liked the way the truck looked with the stickers and bfgs.

#23 ·
I got the new adapters in, front went on fine, but on the rears i had to remove the axle shaft and dress the outer diameter of the bolt bumps on the hub for the adapter to go in place.... anyhow, long story short, my vibrations are gone and new BFG KO 2's load range E on front (I will replace the older load range D's on the rear later) look/ride great.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.