Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A/C O-Ring Assembly Lube ???

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Syndicated_cdn 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my A/C hoses, compressor, evaporator, condenser, and dryer/accumulator. I want to lube the O-Rings before I slide them into the holes. I was thinking of wiping PAG 46 oil on them. What do ya'll think ? Is there something better to wipe on the A/C O-Rings ?

#2 ·
I honestly don't know what the common practice is. But I would stay away from petroleum oils and grease. I bet petroleum jelly is fine.
I'm sure any Kosher grease is perfect.
FYI for everyone: rubber and buna O-rings are of coarse the product of oil "petroleum" So using a petroleum grease on them can start degrading of the o-ring or rubber. Since its the same product it often softens up the material and dissolves it away little by little. Synthetic oils aren't running a natural petroleum base so shaft seals along with any and all the rubber in a engine O-rings, gaskets etc wont be attacked like natural oil does. Granted its a slow process and usually takes years before theres any real problem. But NO problem is better by far. Acid levels are almost nil as well. Synthetic oil was God's gift to the modern engine.

#3 ·
I usullay use soapy (baby shampoo) water on rubber so it doesn't hurt anything.....but you generally want to keep moisture out of the ac system, assuming you do a proper vacuum that shouldn't be an issue.
But the pag oil would probably be best.

Reactions: kaya
#4 · (Edited)
But the pag oil would probably be best.
The PAG 40 is what I was thinking since that is the oil FORD says to use in the 2006 system. I just want to be sure the O-rings slide in smooth and dont get roughed up. One of the ac hoses has 3 o-rings and an o-ring spring stacked one behind the other. The compressor has a sticker that says it needs to be filled with 7 ounces and the parts store has 8 ounce bottles so one should do it. I decided to go for broke(and go broke at the same time) and replace the compressor, accumulator/dryer, condenser,evaporator, orfice valve.

#5 ·
Well if you're replacing all that you might as well get some flush and clean out the lines, also you need to make sure they didn't pre fill the compressor with oil and then find out how much oil the SYSTEM holds and put that amount in it.

#6 ·
Down in the states, you guys have an HVAC supplier called Johnstone or something like that.
Go in there and ask for a product called Nylog. You'll want the blue one, rated for HFC's.
It's a sealant and lubricator. Its made from refrigeration oil, and will guarantee a leak free seal.
Using any oil compatible with R-134a will also work. Either PAG or POE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.