Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

bad fuel pump?

28K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  juleshockey6 
#1 ·
here's the story, about a month ago i got a cyclinder 2 contribution/balance code, replaced injector to find out my fuel pump wasn't working. a buddy of mine had a fass fuel pump on his truck but had his stock pump still on so we switched it over to my truck. worked fine until 2 nights ago i was pulling into my neighborhood and starting going 10mpg floored and misfiring. when i got home it stalled in my driveway. popped open my fuel bowl and nothing was in there. turned the key to prime it and it filled right up. started it and it was misfiring then stalled again. opened the bowl and it was empty.im pulling the cylinder 2 code again but i feel like i'm just pulling codes from not having fuel. using a sct live wire to check. ficm and icp are fine i'm thinking maybe the pump just doesn't have enough pressure and it's running out of fuel. the pump does have around 180k miles i believe. another buddy of mine has a airdog fp-100 brand new still in box he will sell to me for 300$ but i want to make sure it's my pump before i buy if. let me know what you guys think thanks

#3 ·
If the fuel pump ran dry, I'm going to bet the fuel pressure was low. If you were to get inside the fuel tank, there's a couple of screens at the intake that can clog causing low fuel pressure.

Could also be the fuel pump.

Whatever it is, the low fuel pressure may have killed the original injector.

I have a cap with a sensor on my fuel bowl that runs to the Edge. The one time it showed my fuel pressure low, it dropped to 35 PSI only at WOT, with no symptoms except my gauge. I opened the fuel filter to find the filter inside the HFCM clogged.

#4 ·
so i stuck a stock pump in, started it still did miss but rode a hell of a lot better for about a quarter mile then started chugging and stalled on me. had a buddy jump made me it about 50 feet and died out again. batteries wouldn't charge just a mild click. but the click wasn't much of a dead battery click it was kind of a mild thump. got pulled back to my house. batteries were 0% charged them overnight, got them tested and fine, tried to crank over the truck and got a real bad sound. cranked it for literally .2 seconds. can't explain the sound other then maybe it being locked up, it was just a bad thump and clang.

#5 ·
I wonder if you have a hydro lock? Really need to have this troubleshot good.

Worst case what could have happened is those filters in the tank are clogged. When the fuel pump just could not draw enough, the injectors failed. Reason it may need to go to a shop, is if it is hydrolocked and the engine is cranked, bad things could happen. If not, you could go down a rabbit hole.

#6 ·
I wonder if you have a hydro lock? Really need to have this troubleshot good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjF3u2w2gAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UKgw0iGKQ

Worst case what could have happened is those filters in the tank are clogged. When the fuel pump just could not draw enough, the injectors failed. Reason it may need to go to a shop, is if it is hydrolocked and the engine is cranked, bad things could happen. If not, you could go down a rabbit hole.
can i take out the glow plugs and crank it?

#7 ·
I am going to wait for someone who's done that to answer. I have not yet removed a glow plug harness, but what I read say it's brittle and the harness has a high risk of breaking, especially if the correct special tool isn't used. I've read of it being done and when the glow plugs were pulled, coolant came out, but I would wait a bit to see a better answer.

#9 ·
Just conjecture on my part, but if the nozzle stuck open, perhaps it filled with diesel. I've watched a few YouTube videos of injectors causing hydrolocks.

#10 ·
Been there and got the shirts 3 times on my old 6.0. Hydrolocks were ugly and in my cases, happened at highway speeds while hauling 16k#s. Don't attempt to crank as you could do major damage. If you pull the glow plugs, pull the fuse on the HCFM so it doesn't continue to pour fuel into that cylinder when you turn on the ignition.

#11 ·
With the key off, you can crank w/ the starter wire on the passenger frame rail (this will only crank the engine).

It is a "yellow with light blue stripe" colored wire adjacent to the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, near the vacuum pump that has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection. Disconnect it, and jump the male end of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal.

#14 ·
sorry for late reply i have been busy and have not gotten a chance to pull the plugs until today. got cylinder 2 plug out and using the starter wire to crank it, it did shoot out diesel but i'm getting a solid thump and it's not turning. sounds much better then whatever i heard last time using the key. making me think another cylinder is locked up but i'm not sure how that would happen considering i only changed #2 injector. anyways i couldn't get the harnesses off of the other ones. any advice tips ideas anything? i do have a friend that's coming to look at it this week but any input would be great thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.