4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight pipe exhaust and DOT

I installed a mbrp 4" in my truck sometime ago and didn't realize it was illegal and now I'm a bit worried about getting pull over by DOT. When towing our 5th it gets loud when going up hill. We are planning on going on a long trip (west coast) next year and go to Canada too and I know I might get paranoid when going through different states.

Can I add a a cat to my mbrp 4" exhaust, or would I need both a cat and muffler to be legal or at least not to be to obvious to cops? I would like to go back to stock if possible. I live in augusta ga so no inspections here.

I've never been pull over by a dot, heck I think i have never even seen a dot patrol, wonder how much would be a fine, or maybe my truck could be impounded?

What do you guys recommend?

07 f350 Dually tow boss, NUC delux oil bypass with Amsoil filter, IPR high flow coolant filter, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, Fabtech 6" lift kit with stealth shocks, Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Edge Evolution with EGT sensor, PHP ficm programmer, BPD Ficm, BPD water pump, BPD 7.3 fan upgrade, BPD diesel aluminum fuel cap, OEM intercooler cac tube upgrade, 6.7 starter, 6.7 tailgate, Harley Davidson style headlights, color matched front grill, Bushwacker 2" front fender flares, Warn front hitch, custom front bumper, Ravelco anti theft system, Fumoto drain plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
in january of 2006 about 3 days after i picked up my truck from ford i put a 4" turbo back on with no muffler and left the cat off of my 06. its loud, wines like a jet engine and i never had a problem. it passed cali smog check 2 times with no cat. i put a cat on for the last smog check. 180,000 miles so far.

p.s. put a fake straight through muffler on if you're concerned. i have no plans to change my 4" turbo back.

Last edited by doubleslottedflaps; 04-17-2017 at 08:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubleslottedflaps For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
post #3 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I wouldn't worry. You're not commercial and, so, wouldn't have a DOT number. Technically, federal DOT only has relevance for interstate commerce. "Commerce" being the operative word.

Don't hesitate to download the relevant statutes to your phone. Pointing out to a motor vehicle enforcement officer (gently) that he does not have jurisdiction over you is not a bad thing. Certainly better than going along for the ride.

That said... I wouldn't recommend doing things that draw attention to yourself - meaning no over weight or over length. If you are driving 85 pulling your 5th wheel while mooning passing cars, don't be surprise if motor vehicle enforcement pulls you over and hits you with a truckload.

But, other than that, there's not much to worry about, IMHO.
Beerent93 likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)

post #4 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM
RIP Cam!

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You're exhaust regulations should be dictated by the state and county you live in, not federal. If your truck is registered somewhere that does not require you to have a muffler or cat then you can't/shouldn't be cited for not having them on your truck while traveling through another state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake18 For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
i second what djmaguire and rattlesnake18 said.
both valid points.
djmaguire likes this.

SoloLucky, I love my diesel but it ain't for a poor man to own!

2004 CCLB, XLT, 6.0, auto, 4" MBRP full exhaust, 4" lift
1999 eXcAB, XLT, 5.4, auto, stacked, SCT tuner, 4" lift, fully modified as far as I can take it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOLOLUCKY For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Didn't know the dot is for commerce so that make me feel better. I don't like to be the center of attention so I drive like an old man most of the time. We don't do smog test or anything in my area so I should be ok.

07 f350 Dually tow boss, NUC delux oil bypass with Amsoil filter, IPR high flow coolant filter, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, Fabtech 6" lift kit with stealth shocks, Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Edge Evolution with EGT sensor, PHP ficm programmer, BPD Ficm, BPD water pump, BPD 7.3 fan upgrade, BPD diesel aluminum fuel cap, OEM intercooler cac tube upgrade, 6.7 starter, 6.7 tailgate, Harley Davidson style headlights, color matched front grill, Bushwacker 2" front fender flares, Warn front hitch, custom front bumper, Ravelco anti theft system, Fumoto drain plug.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Btw, I have turbo back, forgot how it was called.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm considering marketing bolt-on "heat shields" for turbo back systems. I think that one toward the front roughly in the shape of a cat and a second near the back roughly in the shape of a muffler would dissipate heat nicely...

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
LOL...For those in smog states those shaped "heat shields" could be handy.
Make them clamp around style for easy install and you have yourself the next "pet rock" idea!

But yeah, DOT is strictly commercial. they could not care any less about you and your fifth wheel or unladen pick up truck.
Rattlesnake18 and djmaguire like this.

SoloLucky, I love my diesel but it ain't for a poor man to own!

2004 CCLB, XLT, 6.0, auto, 4" MBRP full exhaust, 4" lift
1999 eXcAB, XLT, 5.4, auto, stacked, SCT tuner, 4" lift, fully modified as far as I can take it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOLOLUCKY For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Fill it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Garage
I cant see you getting pulled over either. But you can put your cat back on. Theres a couple ways to do that:

Legal way is the OEM downpipe to the cat converter. Then 4" from there back is legal 100%

Or weld 4" pipes to your cat converter and toss it in.

Can also knock out the honeycomb material and weld 4" pipes onto it to keep EGT's at present levels.

I myself have a 4" downpipe going to a empty cat then to a Corsa muffler. I'm not a fan of the straight piped sound one bit. I had a exhaust drone until I put the cat converter back on. I'm thinking about putting a different muffler on my truck, I have a Magnaflow that has packing material in it. It is quieter then the Corsa since that's reflective sound technology. Which is a bunch of bullchit for a diesel I think. Its not much more quieter then straight piping by itself....

Anyways theres your options, I would not worry about it. I don't LOL and I'm in California.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
7" Icon/Carli Lift
ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
X4 PHP 65 HP Custom Tow Tune
Atlas40
4" SS exhaust
58K Miles on it
2000 Watts of McIntosh Bliss
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhatlen For This Useful Post:
wellcraft (04-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode