Where to start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to start?

Hi all,

Well I'm about to bite the bullet on a 2005 F250 Fx4 w/ 95k miles and I was hoping you all could give me a run down on things to do(and not to for that matter). I didn't get a real good idea of when the last time all fluids were changed so I think as good measure I'm going to change all oil, tranny and diff fluids. If it's not too difficult, I plan on changing both fuel filters also. I also plan on checking the brakes since it's lifted and I'm sure that puts additional strain on the brakes. Can you list some additional things I should do when first taking ownership? Also, things I should/should not do during driving (for example I found out through reading some posts that it's not good to let it idle for a long time).

Just looking for a little insight for someone that is new to diesels.

Thanks

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone have any suggestions...or even a link to somewhere that posts similar information?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

I think you're off to a good start. Change all the fluids / filters and I think you'll be set. Changing the fuel filters is easy. Hardest part is not getting it all over you. As for idleing it's extended ones you have to worry about. If you have the new flash your turbo after 5 minutes will work the vanes to help in them not getting gummed up. Speaking of flashes, that something you might want to do. Here it cost $85 at the dealership, and it's something that could help with cold starts and help in prolonging the life of your FICM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do the 05's have the FICM problems also? Also, will a dealer do an upgraded reflash if there is an Edge programmer installed?

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definateky the three "F"s Fluids, Filters, Fuel....Change the fuel filters asap...probably thee most important set of filters on the truck and you do not want these to be overdue 10k max. Change your oil and oil filter every 5,000 use 5w-40 syn if you can. Don't buy fuel from just anywhere...top fuels even use cetane booster will help. Change you external tranny filter every 30K,,,may not have been changed...so change it anyway. Tranny fluid should be red and clearly smell of sulfer from the ad packs in Mercon Sp...speaking of which...use only Mercon SP for the transmission...check the smell, you'll know what I'm talking about. Take a good look at your coolant...you would be surprized...some people (2nd owners) have found coolant other than Gold coolant. It has to be either Motorcraft Premium Gold or Valvolines Zerex G-05. Flush your brake fluid. If you have an aftermarket air filter check it to ensure its equal to or better than the OEM Donaldson. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm definitely changing all fluids...I just ordered some Opti-Lube XPD too. Is there a good site to get all the fluids and filters from?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.