Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Standpipe question

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  w_jone23 
#1 ·
Having some confusion on standpipes. I ordered the head gasket kit that comes with new standpipes & TTY bolts. The updated "standpipe" doesn't look like it will work? Looking deeper into this. I swear I ordered the 3C3Z-6051-AA for 20mm but they sent me the CB for 18mm. Standpipes the same for both kits?

2006 F250 KR

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The standpipes are the same in both kits. The only difference is the dowels for locating the head gaskets to the engine block. The standpipes are updated by ford adding a white Teflon seal near the black o-ring seal on the upper piece of the standpipe. The new stand pipe in your picture is for a 03 to early 04 engine that has a stainless steel braided line that connects the high pressure rail to the stand pipe. Instead of the one that you need that threads into the high pressure rail. The head gasket kit that you received/ordered is for an 03-early 04 engine series. The high pressure oil rail was switched in 04.5 to a wavy rail that has a stand pipe that threads into the rear port of the rail and eliminates that stainless steel line that I mentioned above.

#3 ·
w_jone23;14757985 said:
The standpipes are the same in both kits. The only difference is the dowels for locating the head gaskets to the engine block. The standpipes are updated by ford adding a white Teflon seal near the black o-ring seal on the upper piece of the standpipe. The new stand pipe in your picture is for a 03 to early 04 engine that has a stainless steel braided line that connects the high pressure rail to the stand pipe. Instead of the one that you need that threads into the high pressure rail. The head gasket kit that you received/ordered is for an 03-early 04 engine series. The high pressure oil rail was switched in 04.5 to a wavy rail that has a stand pipe that threads into the rear port of the rail and eliminates that stainless steel line that I mentioned above.
Thanks. I understand now. Is what I highlighted in red a typo? The standpipes are different 04/05 vs 05-07.

If the HGs are the same for both kits, I'm going to just order the the correct standpipes for my year(s).

#4 ·
The stand pipes are different from 03/04 when compared to 04.5/07. 03/04 have a snap to connect top and does not thread into a high pressure rail. The 04.5/07 are a 2 piece set up that threads into the high pressure oil rail.

The head gaskets are the same, they just have different hole sizes where the locating dowels go. So as long as the head gasket kits that you were sent have the correct size dowels for you engine/cylinder heads. Then you can just get the correct stand pipe and reassemble.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.