Exhaust brake Ford 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust brake Ford 6.0

Anyone hear of an exhaust brake for the Ford 6.0. or will it even be needed with a 6-speed manual. My friend is buying this 2004 F450 standard.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/6023714548.html

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 BJ60 3.4 Diesel
2006 F350 PSD SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
There are companies that sell exhaust brakes but before you buy one try getting a custom tune that enables turbo braking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Early 2003 6.0 Excursion fully bulletproofed, 155/30 injectors, KC Stage 2, and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I have read about turbo braking and hear that it can be harmful for the valve train?

post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I have pulled many 10,000-12,000 pound loads through the mountains and never needed a lot of brake. I do not have an exhaust brake and dont plan on buying one. I use Performance Friction Z series brake pads with the original rotors on all 4 corners. Make sure your trailer brakes are in good working condition and use a Tekonsha Prodigy or factory ford installed brake controller. 2006 F350 6.0 6 speed schtick !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trash 5.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	608985  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgoatboy View Post
I have read about turbo braking and hear that it can be harmful for the valve train?
If the backpressure caused by the turbo can damage the valve train then the increased back pressure from a true exhaust brake will cause other problems but seeing how I've never read of an exhaust or turbo brake causing problems I think you're safe.

FYI I run the turbo brake 24/7 and have been for 20K miles before that I only had it on when I had my tow tune loaded which wasn't very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleslottedflaps View Post
I have pulled many 10,000-12,000 pound loads through the mountains and never needed a lot of brake. I do not have an exhaust brake and dont plan on buying one. I use Performance Friction Z series brake pads with the original rotors on all 4 corners. Make sure your trailer brakes are in good working condition and use a Tekonsha Prodigy or factory ford installed brake controller. 2006 F350 6.0 6 speed schtick !
If you've never tried one you don't know what your missing, I have the turbo brake feature on even when I'm unloaded and I really like it.

Early 2003 6.0 Excursion fully bulletproofed, 155/30 injectors, KC Stage 2, and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master_Chase For This Useful Post:
lcgoatboy (03-19-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Chase View Post

If you've never tried one you don't know what your missing, I have the turbo brake feature on even when I'm unloaded and I really like it.
How do I get a turbo brake ?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
I sell the prodigy controller,yes they are great. Better to have the factory Ford,they are a prodigy integrated to the pcm. This is what Teckonsha has told me.

1982 BJ60 3.4 Diesel
2006 F350 PSD SD
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
How do I get a turbo brake ?
Custom tune or BDs tap shift are the 2 ways I know to enable it, I have it enabled by custom tuning.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Sct X4 has the as a selectable feature

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and SCT Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode