Should I avoid the 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I avoid the 6.0?

First of all forgive me, I've searched here and on google and found lots of information about the potential problems of them.

I've across a 2003 f250 with the 6.0l and a 5spd (says 5spd, 6spd is all kbb.com shows). The truck looks EXTREMELY clean and has 95kmi on it, and I am very interested... but of course there is tons of horror stories about the 6.0.

Basically I want to use the truck as a general purpose work truck, and pull occasional trailers etc and maybe a boat down the road. I would LIKE to run some tuner and/or exhaust, but worried about "lifting the heads".

I guess what I need to know is primarily about the heads studs...

1) is head bolt problems an eventuality, or is it just common
2) I read that some people fix it by lifting off the cab, and pull heads etc. Is this the only way or does this just make life easier.

I am all for updated technology, and vgt turbo and such, but dont want to buy a money pit. I'm very mechanically inclined, though this would be my first diesel... turbo swaps would be easy etc... however pulling cab might be more than I'd be willing to do.

sorry for the dumb questions, I'm knew to diesel scene, but very knowledgeable about gasolines, and turbo gas motors etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is another rpost about 6.0 reliability...I think the 6.0s are awesome motors. The problems occured from lack of consumer education about the motor and a couple of design defects by the manufacturer. Namely the headbolts tend to expend at high pressure and cause blown headgaskets and the EGR cooler/ Good investments are egr delete and arp headbolts. Then you will increased the reliability of the motor. Stay away from tuners unless you get head studs!

If you can't afford the the head studs and egr cooler delete, don't do tuner...change the oil every 5,000 miles and use a high quality syn ...I like the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. use Motorcraft oil and fuel filters, change fuel filters every 10,000, use only Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant from Ford and only MERCON SP tranny fluid!

I use Mobil 1 and keep maintenance up and tow heavy loads, have 93,000 hard miles, no head studs and original egr cooler...no issues thus far....just a tough running diesel
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks, and I appreciate not flaming me, I did infact find some more answers after browsing this and other sites.... I am not opposed to paying money to get studs put in, but this is something I must remove heads for, or could I theoretically just pull the bolts run the studs, and then bolt them down and torque them? (assuming I could tell if the head gaskets were ok?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and lastly, do the manual transmissions they put behind the powerstroke 6.0l... are they pretty tough? I know the theory behind both, and it would seem in general the automatics are pretty good... but then this one I am looking at is a manual, and all my other cars aer manuals too, so that side of it I'd like
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sorry unable to give advice. have a bias view. but will give it the power advantage in the stock form
Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get an Oasis report and if that looks good and you like the truck pick it up. There are plenty of 03's here that have been good runners
Old 11-27-2009, 03:05 PM

i'm gonna have to agree with 2006PSDSD...there are plently of 03 & 04 F250s that don't have the problems that you hear about in those 'horror stories'. i'd say chances are that if by 95K miles nothing has gone wrong then the truck you're looking at is one of those that came off the factory floor as it was intended. as Baddestt said...just keep up on the maintenance and you'll be in for a hard working and long running rig...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.