Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Extreme mileage oil change

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
So I've been putting some legitimate thought into the comment I made over on the snake oil thread about seeing JUST how long a 6.0 can go without pulling the plug. I've been browsing around and came across a few single cabs down in the $5-6k range and while the Mrs. isn't exactly jumping up and down with excitement, I'd rather risk a $3k engine in a truck worth $5500 than one worth $20k. Besides, if it blows then I have an excuse to make a drag truck lol. If I go through with it, the first thing would be to tear into the engine and take care of all the basic stuff like cooling flush, studs, new oil cooler, rebuild the injectors, and throw in a new FICM to avoid any issues that may cause a false reading in the UOA. Is this something people would be interested in being documented? Won't be a quick turnaround by any means since I don't even crest 10k a year on my truck unless we do some camping trips, but I'll make sure the test truck gets plenty of mileage. Reason I bring it up is because I have yet to see anyone try to push their interval very far, I go 10k and have yet to hear of anyone that has stretched it passed 15k and I fully understand.

I had thought about maybe seeing about some sponsors but that will likely end up being very expensive on my part. I'd guess that they'd want the engine to have a complete rebuild so that it is starting at square 1 with fresh bearings and everything. Be pretty chitty to help fund someone to do some serious testing that could become a breakthrough for the 6.0 only to have the oil pump fail 7k into it. I can't blame them, but at the same time with everything I'd already be doing to the engine, another $3-4k would push me way over budget.

What's y'alls input?

See less See more
#2 ·
Who were you thinking would "sponsor" your idea?

#3 ·
Hey, you never know, people get sponsored for all kinds of crazy shenanigans these days. Idk, maybe the UOA cost. Not necessarily by a company or a shop to supply parts and services, just something to help the bill. People donated $300 so that someone could redecorate and $3k to restore a truck.

#4 ·
So you want to run the engine with same oil until engine failure?

What positives are you thinking will come from this??

I'm a smartass but I'm not even going to start in on you, don't even see the point..........

#5 ·
I never said anything about running it to failure.

Seriously, if I was gonna just run it until it blows then why even bother doing studs and a FICM. I stated that in the event it did fail, I would prefer it to happen on a $5500 truck. Also, I don't think anyone has gone more than 5k and not had a bypass filter, chit people change the oil at 5k even with a bypass.

Let me break it down Barney style. It will have a bypass filter. It will get regular UOAs with TBNs and when the print out shows that either the oil can no longer do its job properly, or there is excessive wear on the engine and causing high levels of metal in the analysis then I'll pull the plug. Does that explain it for you?

#6 ·
Like mhatlen asked. What positives do you think will come from this??

In your original post you mentioned, "serious testing that could become a breakthrough for the 6.0"

What sort of "breakthrough" are you working toward??

:confused:

#8 · (Edited)
Longer oil life is the primary, saving money in the long run. Many of us don't really rack up the miles, but there are others that really do, talking 50k+ every year. Doing 5k mile service at $100 each, that's $1000 a year in oil changes alone. Even if UOA shows that 25k is the "do not cross" line, then that drops the oil cost of that truck down to $200/year

Comes down to the question "what is stopping all of us from running serious extended oil changes?" The answer is simple, the high pressure oil system shears oil and we don't know exactly how long it is good for. I aim to put that to rest and show what happens to the oil at 12,500, 15k, 17,500, 20k etc

#9 ·
1000 a year in oil and 1 hr/ oil change. or a complete engine rebuild, possibly injectors, possibly lifters, possibly front cover, low pressure pump, turbo seals, vgt solenoid, ipr, hpop, oil cooler.. the majority of this engine is powered by oil at pressure, why risk destroying an engine to save a couple hundred bucks each year?

Oil is the blood of the engine, you wouldnt go a year eating nothing but mcdonalds and expect to have good health.

I dont see the point, but knock yourself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I wanna see! I wanna see! I wanna see!

#11 ·
I am going to run 10,000 before my change this go around and can post my oil analysis results if you want. I run a bypass and at that mileage my oil will still have under 200 hours on it. I have been running 8,000 or so last few changes and oil still has plenty more according to the report. My only worry this far has been fuel dilution in the oil was flagged.

Reactions: drivininidaho
#19 ·
Feel free to post your results. There is a ton of information in the report that can really clue you in on the internal health of your engine. Fuel dilution could be a leaky injector or can indicate the cylinders getting "washed" due to long idle times.

This is in reference to my 2011.

My points were that 1) 10k miles isn't an "extreme" duration and 2) extended drain intervals are entirely appropriate.
Right, I currently change mine at 10k. The test truck will be going as high as the analysis checks out for. When I pull the sample, the truck won't move until I get results just in case something serious is found and I need to pull the plug immediately. I will be running TORQUE on it to keep assign eye on all of the temps and pressures to shut it down if something is amiss

#12 ·
since you asked
I have 0 interest in this experiment

i am "the guy" who changes my oil at 5k and runs a bypass
even the oil analysis say i can run longer . but it's not about the $ it's about using known quality parts and 5 k changes for piece of mind
like i have mentioned I get free Jiffy lube changes I can go in even more than 5 k but I have never driven across a Jiffy Lube threshold in my truck

I can't see a sponsor having interest in this ??
but good luck nonetheless
Z

#13 ·
I recently submitted an oil sample with approx 15,000 on it. TBN of 1.3 (?). All levels are low to normal. Running to 15,000 is perfectly fine, in my particular case.

I may stretch the current oil to 17,500.

Similarly, I have left factory original ATF in place to evaluate whether or not Ford recommendation of a 150,000 interval is wise. With 153,9xx on the truck I intend to do that this week.

#17 · (Edited)
Kabloooey

This is the long term affect.

I'm afraid that I am being a tool.

#22 ·
Where are you looking? Blackstone Labs is $28 + $10 TBN, if you prepay and order 6 it's $22 each. TBN is still $10. 6 prepaid with TBN runs $192.

My personal truck gets 10k drains and I'm going to be dropping my 5k sample and just go with 7500 and 10k.

Shell T6- $21.36ea x 4
Filter- $15.95
Total- $101.39 per change

No analysis or bypass filter means $608.34 every 30k and I'll be paying $496.17 so I'm already saving money. Some may say that the savings are miniscule but those are also the same people that somehow justify putting $50+ worth of additives in EVERY oil change rather than cleaning their injectors.

#23 ·
Piece of mind is priceless. Plus I manage a fleet of 400 heavy trucks, plow equipment and construction equipment, we only do oil analysis during the warranty and break in period. After that all fluids are changed at or before the manufactures recommended intervals based on the type of use plowing snow, grading roads, trenching operations etc. Never never never are they extended beyond the manufacture recommendation based on an oil analysis. It just isn't good business sense to go so. If you want to save 200 bucks in 30k mile on oil changes buy extending you oil change intervals it's your call.

#25 ·
I was pretty fond of my big BOOMER picture I tossed up on the thread. But unfortunately that's all the input I can muster up for this idea.

I look at it like this: I have a lot of money invested in my truck and the engine as well. I am in no way going to push oil that is forced to pressures in the 4000 psi range its entire life in the engine any further than 5,000 miles. In fact I rarely go to 5,000 miles because I do either 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first. These engines maul the oil and you are going to do damage for no good reason.
You just did a nice upgrade on your truck I just don't understand why this comes after that accomplishment.

I say you down some Jack until your head hurts....... in the morning it will just had been a bad dream.

Reactions: jd4010
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.