Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need a gauge pod

939 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  panteramatt 
#1 ·
I want to install a egt gauge since its about the only thing I can think of that the x4 doesnt monitor. Since I only need one gauge, I thought of the steering column pod. Ony issue is it looks like it blocks the speedo and gear indicator. Is there one that had the gauge to the left? Are there any other gauges you guys would recommend that the ecu doesnt monitor? If so I could get the dual pillar mount but I want to keep the handle.

#3 ·
There is three that I recommend:

EGT - as you mentioned.
Boost - When you shift to aftermarket tuning, the one on the dash is no longer accurate. Go to a larger turbo only makes that worse.
Fuel Pressure - Insurance on your injectors.

I fabricated a dual pod mount using the Single under-the-handle A-pillar, and run Boost and EGT there. Up in an over 4-pod, I run Transmission, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and Voltmeter. I also run the Edge Insight. The set up is a little overkill, but I read gauges quicker than having everything on Edge. One glance and I know where I stand.

Got any questions let me know.

#4 ·
Could I just run a fuel pressure gauge under the hood just to check it and be done or do you need to monitor it while under load? Also I have a barders stage 2 so is the boost gauge on my x4 monitor wrong? Colo, how did you make that dual pod while keeping your handle? Any pics?

#6 ·
You need to monitor Fuel Pressure consistently, cruising not a huge deal, but under a load and towing could drive pressure low and you wouldn't know it. If you don't want to run the Fuel Pressure add the insurance of updated regulator spring and perhaps the 6.4L banjo bolts.

Your tune will force the PCM to see the max boost of your Stage 2 Turbo as 28psi so the computer doesn't see an overboost condition in the truck. Your should be seeing mid-30's in boost if I'm wrong on that.

I have a write up here on the ORG for the first gen of my handle pod. I'll see if I can dig it up quickly for you.

#7 ·
#9 ·
When I went down this route, this seemed the better option to keep my grab handle. If you have an ealier truck, or ESOF 4x4, you could also find the pod for the lower dash. To me, however this takes your eyes too far off the road.

If you are comfortable with not knowing the boost numbers, and recognize that your gauge reading 28psi is the max boost for your stage 2, you don't need a gauge for boost.
I do a lot of comparison testing, particularly when I built my custom turbo, and I really prefer to know the numbers I'm putting out.

#11 ·
Just FYI, the x4 will monitor EGT and, I think, fuel pressure with add ons.

Reactions: pphelps
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.