Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR delete...always throws codess?

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
so when an EGR deleted truck is scanned will it always throw a EGR code?
seems logical it would but just checking

#3 ·
it is deleted and the valve is stil there?
i guess i am ignorant of what an EGR delete consists of ...hhhmmm

mine is a sinister brand delete kit...looks like a flat blue anodized plate bolted down on the intake manifold. so i am reasonably sure there is no valve on mine...and i found the empty plug where the EGR would have been attached

#4 ·
My valve is a still there....No code

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#5 · (Edited)
Depends on the strategy. Seems the earlier trucks don't have much of an issue, at least not throwing a CEL. They may set a soft code for Insufficient flow though. Others don't seem to even notice it's gone. For safety's sake on mine, I leave it plugged in since there is also the possibility of affecting cooling fan function. I've got a BPD cooler with a spool plug in the EGR hole and the valve bolted beside it.

#6 ·
Depends on the strategy. Seems the earlier trucks don't have much of an issue, at least not throwing a CEL. They may set a soft code for I n sufficient flow though. Others don't seem to even notice it's gone. For safety's sake on mine, I leave it plugged in since there is also the possibility of affecting cooling fan function. I've got a BPD cooler with a spool plug in the EGR hole and the valve bolted beside it.
Do you have a picture of that?

I throw a soft code if it's not plugged in. But now that I think about it I have the 7.3 manual fan clutch so I don't even need to to have the valve plugged in anymore...lol

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#16 ·
I guess I'm a little concerned with that. I bought this truck 2 months ago, EGR delete, studded, blah blah blah
I've got no P-codes in memory, which I guess means I've got a tune.... but no tuner.

Does that mean I have no stock file to go back to, should I buy a tuner?

#13 ·
Correct, but I have the BPD cooler so I'm not too worried about a rupture allowing coollant back in the exhaust side.

Reactions: kaya
#15 ·
I should say that my EGR is turned off with tuning and I've never received a code for it. I put the spool in as extra insurance in case the valve ever stuck or blew open under boost.

#17 ·
Are you sure the valve isn't in there? Go see what going on with the plug. Is it just lying there?

#19 ·

#20 ·
Yes, p0401 can be caused by anything that causes less of a drop in maf and ebp when the egr valve is commanded open. That is what the PCM monitors when determining egr flow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.