Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crushed 6.0 popit injector springs

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  superdave76 
#1 ·
So I had a set of injectors that kept having P0263 and so forth on like 6 out of the 8 injectors after only 2,500 miles. Had them pulled and sent in for warranty. I was told they had broken popit springs and that it is usually caused by running out of fuel. The injectors are 155cc's with stock nozzles and upgraded solenoids. I have the blue spring upgrade and only run a 65 horse tow tune to make the injectors run smoothly. Is this what really happened or is it when the injectors would start missing really bad and throw the continuity balance codeds and the motor would die that caused the fuel to run out? Rig ran amazing until this all happened. Would get 20 mpg on road trips with my excursion. They said they normally don't warranty them and charge a repair fee but didn't. So any ideas would be helpful. Motor is brand new.

David

#2 ·
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Was your fuel pressure ever erratic?

-jokester

#3 ·
6.0 crushed popit injector springs

So I had a set of injectors that kept having P0263 and so forth on like 6 out of the 8 injectors after only 2,500 miles. Had them pulled and sent in for warranty. I was told they had broken popit springs and that it is usually caused by running out of fuel. The injectors are 155cc's with stock nozzles and upgraded solenoids. I have the blue spring fuel upgrade and only run a 65 horse tow tune to make the injectors run smoothly. Is this what really happened or is it when the injectors would start missing really bad and throw the continuity balance codeds and the motor would die that caused the fuel to run out? Rig ran amazing until this all happened. Would get 20 mpg on road trips with my excursion. They said they normally don't warranty them and charge a repair fee but didn't. So any ideas would be helpful. Motor is brand new. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge either. This just blows my mind.

David

#7 ·
I did send a reply stating that I didn't have a pressure gauge that same morning he sent a reply to me. Then later that afternoon I did another thread that was almost identical the the original but stated in that one that I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge. Now that you merged them it only shows what you merged without my reply and I can't even reply to it. I'm having to use an old open window from the first reply just to get this out.

#8 ·
OK, so no fuel gauge. Is your birthday coming up soon, because I know what i'd want for my birthday to keep an eye on things :D

-jokester

#10 ·
Weird. I'm using a tablet and when i sent that message it made me do the prove your not a robot thing. Maybe the answer I typed was off a letter and when I sent it it never truely sent it. If that's the case then that's on me. I'm starting to figure out the site since it looks like it changed a bit to me since I'm not able to get on here much.

#11 · (Edited)
With the security measures they (AutoGuide) put in after the beach last year it may have been that your account had been logged out without you noticing and that's why you had to use the prove you're real thing.

Either way, here's where we are today.
@twoicebergs, you have any input/idea? I'm guessing the "poppit' spring is the one that shuts the pintle at the nozzle?

#14 ·
How can I get 20mpg ? Mine gets 14mpg at 65 empty and pulling a trailer weighing over 10k. 20 would be awesome to get. I also have a stick and 4.10 posi. And my BFG rugged trail t/a tires have a good rolling resistance rating. And I can put the truck in neutral and it will cost a long way on flat streets. 20 mpg ! I want it ! Mine has the blue spring.

#15 ·
You are not going to get 20 mpg towing a 10k trailer; sorry, but someone is blowing smoke up your butt.

The nozzle release springs should not ever break. Think about what they do, all they do is push against the needle to create a minimum pressure nozzle block. Too break them would need great heat to change the spring's tensile/rebound characteristics or something being loose. Now, if it was a plunger return spring breaking, that is a different matter, usually caused by too much movement of the plunger on a highly modified injector. There were failures in the 03 design with the carbide plunger versus the new DLC coating, as well as the plunger to spring retainer was improved. Too much rattling or vibration could cause this spring to fail.

What was said earlier about air in the fuel, or even air in the HP oil could cause hammer style damage as both oil and fuel are used to dynamically protect the injector during normal operation. To damage 6 of 8 shows a very large issue.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info. To clarify only 3 springs were crushed but I did geet 6 out of 8 injectors to have injector continuity balance codes. 1, 5, and 7 had the most codes and I'm sure that those were the broken ones. It never acted like it was running out of fuel and with the blue spring update it ran even better. The hoop had the update parts added to it so it would be more reliable as well. When it would run right it ran amazing. So ya its all frustrating. w im finding out my pcm vin doesn't match my vehicle vin and it probably is going to need a new one. Just what I needed right now. Good grief!!!

#20 ·
So they gave me a warrantied set of injectors and said they were the same as the first set yet you can't here the spool valves chatter like you could on the old set. I asked about it and was told only that they were the same size. Well with less then 600 miles on them the motor started running rough again. I put my tool on it it said P0275 which is injector continuity imbalance code. I cleared it and drove the rest of my trip and then back home later. It acted funny at times and then would seem fine. So what he heck!!!??? This is getting stupid. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.